HybridZ

Tuned in timing and cracked block?

my buddy was tuning in my timing about three years ago, he said he got it tuned in pretty good. So he took it for a spin and when he got back, it sounded like the engine was spitting. I opened the hood and it sounded like it was comming from under the header. I put my hand under and sure enough, there was a good amount off pressured air comming out of somewhere. I though it was just the gasket for the header. I replaced that, but its still happening. Im thinking its somthing serious, but have no idea what it could be. Could it have blown a chunk out of the head? It has been sitting for about 3 years now but want to get starting on it somtime soon. Thanks guys.

Steven F.

huh...... hmmm....Well first off: remove crap in way and visually see what your feeling. Get a good light on it, maybe its just a hole in the header itself. Block blowing a hole (Iron block) doubtful on a Stock Car. Easy thing is to look for black soot around header pipe to gasket or yet again remove it all and look at gasjet see if it was leaking past.I'm guessing cause I cant see or hear it but I would say its just a bad seal. Can happen. I tightened mine on the other week after a few upgrades and somehow they got loose just by running it for a day so tightened them again and no more leak sound. I would do the cheap thing first and check it with a light see if you see visual signs. But im betting its just a bad seal from gasket to header. Or Holes in header.. maybe cracked header flange.

Awsome. Well i have already replaced the exhaust manifold gasket( between header and block) so I dont think its that. Thanks for the ideas guys. I will check the header it self when I can get time to start the project. I replaced the gasket, but never did check the header. Sounds very possible. thanks a bunch guys. There was also a very bad shaking/ clunking in the rear end when I was towing it over to my buddys house... That could be many things though... Well thanks again guys. Have a good one

Some of them have a safety built in that if it blows, it blows towards the outside of the engine instead of the coolant or oil passages so that you can limp it back home.

Really, which ones? I think you have that all wrong, that was the reasoning behind ML technology, so that they don't blow under extreme applications like turbo, supercharger and high compression.

Edited by dr_hunt

And no I didnt know about the kingston z club, Thanks for letting me know. I'll see whats up with them. Im in the middle of my '82 K5 blazer project to so money is tight right now. Thanks for all the help guys, this is an awsome fourm site. Very helpful.