HybridZ

Fuel cell, Foam or not??

DRZ man

I'm not sure why you would be getting mixed reviews on fuel cell foam. Its a basic safety requirement and no certified fuel cell is without it. Its main purpose is to reduce vapor buildup inside the tank, which significantly reduces the chance of explosion.

You do need to inspect it every year or two and replace it per the manufacturer's instructions. Its not a big deal and just adds an hour to the normal annual inspection that should be done on all race cars.

How often does the foam need to be replaced in a fuel cell?

I was thinking of using one in my street/track 240Z that will be getting a high horsepower turbo engine down the road, but I would think a metal tank setup for EFI would have less maintainence and be cheaper?

Greg

Its main purpose is to reduce vapor buildup inside the tank, which significantly reduces the chance of explosion.

quote]

Possibly along the same lines, I thought the theory behind the foam was that thousands of small pockets of semi-separated fuel won't burn like one larger mass? I understand that vapor is more volatile than the liquid state of fuel, but is vapor control the only reason for foam?