HybridZ

Brake warning light on / I need it off!

RickB

Hey All,

I just recently bought a 76 280V8 and the brake light stays on in the speedometer pod. Can anyone tell me of a simple way to unplug it or clear it? It looks tight up in there and maybe I just need to pull the bulb or??

Sorry for the simple question...I've figured out quite a few others so far. Having fun again!

------------------

RickB

280V8

350/700R4

12.77 w/radials & pump gas so far...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

John, good call. Mine used to stick because the book frayed and got tangled in the switch. The switch is below the front of the pivot part of the handle.

The only other thing that can make the light stay on (besides a short somewhere) is the brake switch in the hydraulics. It's on the fender below the master cylinder. I guess that the guts could get corroded and lock the piston in it to one side, but having air in one part of the system (front or rear) can make the switch activate. I think that's the whole reason for having the switch in there anyway.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Yep, I tried the emergency brake switch right away. Nope...

The brakes are good, could be that whoever originally did the swap unplugged or failed to plug in something? I'll trace some of the wiring.

It's just sort of annoying at night when prowling wink.gif

------------------

RickB

280V8

350/700R4

12.77 w/radials & pump gas so far...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

Guest Fast Frog

I've had this problem with my '77 and '78 Zs.

Maybe your '76 is a late '76. Check your brake master cylinders. If there wires coming from them disconnect them. If that doesn't work, you can reach up behind the speedo and pull the brake light. It's tight but it can be done!