HybridZ

5 Speed leak from the front of tranny

PETEW

Like the title says, my N/A 5 speed is leaking from of the tranny some where. I can't see where it is coming from (but I do know it up front) even though I have cleaned it up and looked again. I first thought it was just a sign of too much oil in the tranny and drained it till it was even with the side fill hole. That didn't solve it. I am now wondering, based on the oil I saw, if it is too thin getting past the seals. The 5 speed transmissions should have gear oil in it, correct? The oil in the transmission almost looks like motor oil to me. Do people put in light oil like that in the transmission? It is fresh oil in the transmission and it shifts beautifully, but it is leaking pretty good from somewhere up front (I get a little puddle up front where the bell housing meets the motor and a little by the drain hole). Are there any common areas that the 5 speeds leak from up front? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have figured out that my oil pan gasket was bad. I am hoping that is all it was. It was a real bear changing the oil pan gasket with the engine still in the car. I just didn't feel like ripping half the car apart to change it. I will find out if I got it sealed well tonight. Hopefully that will be the end of my problems. I am supposed to be driving this car to Tennessee in 3 weeks for Z days.