HybridZ

Is the e12-80 module required with MSD 6AL?

I am in the middle of swapping an L28 3.1 stroker motor with a 280zx distributer into my 1973 240z. I am planning to use a MSD 6AL ignition box. I currently do not have the e12-80 igntion module so I would like to know if this module is required.

I have been trying to find an answer but I keep running into conflicting information regarding wheter or not this module is actually required. Some people say that the e12-80 is required, but others say that the 6AL can just connect directly to the red/green wires on the distributer without any problem.

Also, are there any performance or reliability differences between using the e12-80 or not if the module is not required.

I am also trying to decide which coil to go with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I will either go with the MSD blaster 2 or Mallory Promaster.

It is NOT needed, and I'm not guessing. I ran that distributor with a 6AL for years with the module then found out you could run without and took it off and continued to run it for years like that, so I've done BOTH. As you can run the wires in the distributor straight to the pigtail that comes out of the MSD for the Ford pickup. Both MSD and the stock ignition module have reps for failure. Running without the module means you can put it in the glove box and then if your MSD ever takes a crap you just hook up the module and keep driving.

There isn't any performance difference with one or the other, so you might as well include less potential causes of failure in your system. Make sure you jump the ballast resistor regardless, as that WILL make a difference. Just need a jumper wire that connects one side of the ballast to the other.