HybridZ

76 280?

Guest RON JONES

Guest Fast Frog

OPPPS!

Not entirely true.

The non-Calif 76 280Zs had no cats, etc and ran on leaded gas(I've got two). Check the exhaust sys underneath, the fuel inlet, and on the engine side of the hood-if those original mfg stickers are still there. The 77 up were all catted and certified for "Calif" emissions; and ran on unleaded gas.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited January 05, 2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

OPPPS!

Not entirely true.

(snip) The 77 up were all catted and certified for "Calif" emissions; and ran on unleaded gas.

B]

Nope... STILL not entirely true. Non-California Z's through 1978 had no cats and could use leaded gas. It even says so in the FSM.

Somebody will probably correct me now, but I believe that the '79 ZX was the first year that had cats across the board (in the US, anyway).

Ron, to not answer your question directly, but to give $.02: the 280 is perhaps better for a conversion because there are more of them around, they typically are less expensive (around here anyway), they have a stiffer chassis, they are more comfortable and quieter inside, and they typically have less rust! I share Mike's opinion.

David

Guest Fast Frog

Well Hmmmm:

This is probably spliting hairs, but the Clean Air Act (EPA) was upgraded in 1976 and stated that all domestic autos and any import had to have emissions control. Most auto mfgr went with the Calif regs so that they could sell in Calif as well as the rest of the U.S. and Datsun was one of them. I don't think you're going to find a single US 77-78Z without cats and leaded fuel requirements unless it was imported from Canada, Europe or from Japan. I restored a 78Z for my mother in Calif and took it out to her 2 yrs ago. The first thing I had to do was get it "smogged". It took 1 1/2 to go thru the whole ordeal and the attendant at the testing station showed me that the 76Z had 2 separate catagories-Calif Z and non-Calif Z. 77 and up had one catagory-Calif certified.

If you look under the hood, you'll find the emissions certification sticker and I don't think you'll find any 77-78Z that's non-Calif certified.

I don't think Ron is interested in this bit of "trivia" so I'll shut up now.