HybridZ

Z DASH

Guest zfan

LIKE MANY OF YOU IM SURE YOU KNOW ABOUT EARLY MODEL Z'S AND THAT THEY CRACK, CRACK AND CRACK. WELL CANT JUST HAVE THEM RECOVERED SO!!! ANYONE USE THE FULL DASH MOLD/COVER FROM MSA OR V.BRITISH. IS IT WORTH IT TO COVER OR JUST BUY A NEW DASH ALL

TOGETHER, VERY PRICEY BY THE WAY 600/700 BUCKS MINUMUM FROM WHAT SHOPS HAVE TOLD ME.

ANYONE GOT ONE LAYING AROUND HA! LOL!

THE COVERS DO NOT SEEM TO SEAT WELL EITHER AND CAN CRACK TOO FROM WHAT IVE HEARD?

THANKS FOR ANY IMPUT!!!!

ZFAN/MIKE

Hey ZFAN/Mike,

I just noticed that you are in the Dallas, TX area...me too! I also responded to your Ram Air Box post. I am just north of Dallas by Lake Lewisville (Little Elm).

I have a dash cover that the previous owner had installed as well. It's not ideal but...it's a whole lot better than whats underneath if ya' know what I mean.

Give me a shout if ya' want to hook up sometime. E mail private for phone numbers...

work address; rickb@covenantchurch.org

home address; bornabov@netzero.net

------------------

RickB

280V8

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

Drax240 has my 240Z with a dash cover and it did crack badly. May have been poor prep? Does not stick out much at all but the quality is ??????

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

RICK, MY PARENTS USED TO LIVE OVER IN HIGHLAND VILLAGE OFF 407 SO I KNOW AREA A LITTLE. I LIVE IN PLANO, HAVE FOR 14 YEARS.

BOY HAS THE AREA CHANGED, NOT REALLY FOR THE BETTER. JUST MY OPINION.

YOU SAID YOU PUT THE RAM AIR IN. ALSO I BELIEVE YOU SAID YOUR USING THE 2 INCH DROP BASE. WHAT BY CHANCE IS THE HEIGHTH MEASUREMENTS FROM TOP OF CARB TO VERY TOP OF RAM AIR UNIT. I HAVE A TWO AND ONE HALF INCH AIR CLEANER USING A ONE INCH DROP WITH LITTLE OR NO HOOD CLEARANCE. DO NOT WANT TO BUY SOMETHING JUST TO PAY TO SHIP IT BACK. IVE GONE THAT ROUTE SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE WITH OTHER PRODUCTS THEY SAY WILL FIT BUT DONT.. ANYTHING FOR A SALE I GUESS. THIS GOES FOR SUMMIT,PAW,MSA ETC...ANY INSITE YOU COULD GIVE RE: RAM AIR WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS MIKE

hmm...a 2 1/2" breather using a 1" drop base huh? What intake are you using? If it is an open plenum race type than that would explain the clearance issue. I have a simple Edelbrock Performer dual plane.

BTW, Air Inlet Systems was NOT confident that this system would work. They highly suggested the optional 2" drop base to assist with clearance. I was willing to section the inlets and point them downward if need be. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with.

I have the back of my hood propped a little to let heat out. I'm sure that helps.

If ya' want I would be willing to help you mock up my air box and see if it would work for you. I had to lay my nitrous system solenoids over and reroute the heater lines to use the drop base. An exercize you may not have to do.

Let me know if I can help.

Another BTW, I opened the car up on a straight stretch today in 3rd gear with the Ram Air installed...man it pulled like mad until I realized I was going WAY too fast!! No speedo??

------------------

RickB

280V8

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

• 2 months later...
Guest Fast Frog

ZFAN!!

Did you get a decent dash cover? I've got 2 of those half dashs that are in great shape. You can have one-no charge-just pay for the shipping.

Rick

Guest Fast Frog

Sundance:

Nah, I don't cruise North Av. It's more for the rice boy and cowboy types. Besides, most of the cruisers are my sons age-teens and early 20s. The city's finest are cracking down on cruising and street sortees anyway.

Mike kZ: I'd love to let you have one of these dash covers but they fit 280Zs only. There are configuation diff tween the 240 and 280Z dash.

Zfan,

I have an MSA full dash cover in my 260Z. I must say that overall, I am very happy with it and it has improved the appearance 100% over the old, ugly, cracked dash. I followed the instructions and hey, it worked like a charm.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that there is too little clearance for the dash light dimmer switch to rotate properly. This is not a problem, however, in that the stupid dash lights are too dim anyway even when fully illuminated! Just my $.02 smile.gif

David

I installed a full cover dash that lasted for 10 years with no cracking or deformation. The key to successful installation is prepping the OEM dash. Many times the OEM dash will be raised where cracked. First, use a solvent to remove any silicone or oils on the dash (do this first to keep from sanding any oils and silicones back into the surface of the dash). Then make sure you sand (I used 36 grit on an idiot stick) the OEM surface completely flat (Knocking off the high raised spots next to the cracks), then once all this is done, you can trial fit the cover, trim any place that may not be fitting perfectly (mine needed timming around the glove box and A/C outlet), and then glue on. I had to use 1/2" X 6" X 3" plates of steel to set onto the cover to keep it down on the OEM dash correctly until the adhesive (silicone) was set.

Terry Oxandale

Terry, I have a question for you. Assuming I have a cracked dash (very poor condition) and wanted to use something like carbon fiber to overlay the whole thing (for looks mostly) what would you use to smooth out the dash low spots like holes or wide cracks?

I know you have done fantastic fiberglass work on your cars, but I'm posing this question to you in hopes that you may know about the carbon fiber. Fiberglass and carbon fiber appear to be somewhat similar in the set up process, but carbon fiber is oh so much prettier.

Thanks,

David