HybridZ

grief.. anyone have the real skinny on r200 4:11 in a 70?

datjunky

ive reading a lot. im trying to put a r200 w/4:11 into my 70. ive read about a "thrust block" that interferes with the half shafts. this diff uses the cv style half shafts. and my diff does have the "thrust block" cant see thru it!

1) will 280 z half shafts work? or do i need zxt shafts?

2) do i need to remove this block? i dont think i want to open that can of worms.

3) do i need the brackets for the diff restrain belt from later car? im thinking about removing that all together and putting a chain around the diff and front mount..

any advice is helpful. i have spent hours reading about this.

thanks.!

Where is the thrust block stuff coming from? Never seen that one before. If you're talking about a longnose R200, I think it's just flat out wrong. I wouldn't presume to know that there couldn't be a thrust block in a shortnose diff, because I don't have much experience there, but I would expect that to be wrong as well.

The rest of your questions are answered in my huge diff post which is a sticky in the Drivetrain forum.

R200 spiders '86 300ZX

I assume datjunky means this thingy

OBX_005.jpg

I think my U joint axles are from another R200 280 and popped in fine. The original '86 axles were CVs, of course. You need to have the C-Clip retained style axles, not bolt in: longer on passenger side. So if this is what you mean, you don't need to remove, axles will pop in fine.

Since you have a '70 a few more considerations when swapping to R200, lots of documentation already posted.

OBX_008.jpg

Thanks to both of you for responding to my post. sorry... it is a longnose r200, i presume from a 85-6 200sxt. and yes, that "thingy" is what im talking about. ive read some other posts, where guys were getting worked because of this thingy.. a couple of them removed it. it seems some diffs have it, others dont. and Jon, i did read most of your long post a few times. very educational for me. but correct me if im wrong.. but all i saw regarding a r200 swap in a early z was the list of parts needed (which im aware of) and reference to moving the diff back to correct halfshaft angles. i cant find anyone or any post of someone using this r200 w/4:11 in an early car. the diff strap/bracketry seems to be unanswered too. (at least find a good answer) and this "thingy" John Scott says i just use clip in style cv halfshafts.. which i would find off a zxt or z31, right? i know i need things spelled out for me a little more than a lot people on this site, as im fairly unfamiliar with the different diffs, applications, and hand on with them. i am familiar with z's in general though. i guess the biggest question for me is, CAN I MOUNT THIS DIFF NOW? even though i dont have the halfshafts. ill figure out the diff strap.. i think my idea of wrapping a chain around the end of diff nose, going around the cross member with a bolt holding the chain together seems like a perfect answer to the common diff mount problem.. it would effectively use the existing isolator mount but limit it from over torqueing it, and breaking. you would also get no vibration.. basically it would just save the mount from seperating. same idea as those guys in your post who put a bolt thru it. what do ya think? again, all i need (outside of the r200 swap parts list) to make this diff work in my car is cv style halfshafts from a zxt or z31.. right?? thanks guys.

datjunky

My point was that I'm using u-joint 1/2 shafts with the '86 R200, block in place, not the CVs. My axle stubs are the pic. above. All I did was pop out the CVs and pop in my stubs. 1000s of miles later, road trips, a few race days its back out for an OBX install.

Steel cable wrapped around nose is tidier than chain. I like my security blanket of running Ron Tyler style AND factory mount.

LOL, I think your term "thrustblock" sounds better than "thingy"

thanks John.. i should have been in bed... not writing some rambling post last night. i understand now... i think. so those stub axles came out of an r200, and you used the half shafts from it too. and they just pop in.? OR i can you use cv axles from a zxt or z31? DO YOU want to sell or trade something for those stub axels? i dont have them, but i do have half shafts. i would prefer to use that set up vs cv's.. i think.

STEEL CABLE... i like it. yes. cleaner. and i like "thingy". BTW.. thanks for posting those pics.

datjunky

thanks John.. i should have been in bed... not writing some rambling post last night. i understand now... i think. so those stub axles came out of an r200, and you used the half shafts from it too. and they just pop in.? OR i can you use cv axles from a zxt or z31? DO YOU want to sell or trade something for those stub axels? i dont have them, but i do have half shafts. i would prefer to use that set up vs cv's.. i think.

STEEL CABLE... i like it. yes. cleaner. and i like "thingy". BTW.. thanks for posting those pics.

datjunky

Yes, stub axles and 1/2 shafts came from another R200, don't remember exact year, but I remember it was a 280.

Sorry don't want to sell as those are the ones I'm using with my u-joint 1/2s. Someday I'll upgrade to the ZXT CVs, but mine is a budget car.

To say others here know 100 X more than myself on the subject of R200s would be an understatement. I'm just posting as to what I've experienced.