HybridZ

My body work and paint prep on my 260Z

cali260Z

Well i figured I may as well start a thread showing my progress on my Zcar. Please give any Freindly advice that you may have and please refrain from any flaming, This is my 1st restore project so i Know NOTHING and Claim to know NOTHING when it comes to anything:mrgreen:

So here we go....... enjoy the pix:burnout: its been a blast thus far to work on this car for my son and I and i love driving this car more than my other 1

260Z pix bettys phone 066_thumb.JPG

260Z pix bettys phone 065_thumb.JPG

at the very worst with a bad motor i would pull the motor, and drop in a v8:shock:

at the very best it runs and i would begin the slow steady process of fixing and tweaking, but 1st things 1st.

we bought the car, aired up the tires for the ride back up the North county(notice the car dolly in the 1st pic its important)

We jump on the freeway and head home with the "snot rocket" in tow....... everything is cool...........or is it?????

My son says dad, i smell something burning I look in the mirrors and there is smoke from the Z that we just bought. So pull over and see what the hell is going on with the car I just BOUGHT LOL . the tires are RUBBING on the STRUTTS!!!(wrong size tires and rims. )turn around head back the to the gas station i saw a mile back. drop off the car, and then spent the next 2 hours trying to get a full auto transport. FINALLY!! I get 1 and get the car home ......GREAT SUCCESS!!

We got the 260Z home on Sat. and her running on Monday afternoon:)

compression was 123 on all 6

had great Big Fat Blue spark

hhhmmmmm... this motor will start....

and it did!

So far we have had to drop the fuel tank

replace ALL the fuel lines

oil change

coolant

plugs and wires

air filter etc.

carb cleanner

Here she is all cleaned up on polished and waxed

notice the rust on the hood ( soon to be addressed)

some rust was found on the rocker panels

and on the hatch

but nothing major

oh yeah, had to buy a set of used tires to make her roll properly and then still had to add spacers in the front of the car to get it to roll without rubbing on the strutts......Great SUCCESS!!

260Z CLEANED UP PIX 023_thumb.JPG

260Z CLEANED UP PIX 009_thumb.JPG

260Z CLEANED UP PIX 016_thumb.JPG

260Z CLEANED UP PIX 007_thumb.JPG

Holy smokes I counted like 6+ layers of paint on that hood! Is that right or am I just seeing things >_>. Take the aircraft stripper to her! I personally like to work from the sheet metal up, that way you know whats going on. No surprises down the road, hehe. Don't know if your project has the time frame for that... just my 2cents.

i counted 3-4 paint jobs her, i took it all the way down to sheet metal on the rust mitigation and then went an addl back 4inches or so. When i was at paint shop picking out color for the car, the guy said its probably best to take it down beyond the latest paint job, smooth it prime it and shoot it

but we will see...................

if i have time after work today i will pull the front and rear bumpers and get the grill out so i can clean it up and prime it