HybridZ

Steering wheel choices

pparaska

I'm looking to put a nice steering wheel in place of the gimpy (Thanks, Morgan, good word) tiller.

I'm looking for something that's leather with probably aluminum spokes. The stock Z is 4.5" from the rim surface to the mounting surface. The Momo adapter is about that long, I'm told. So I'd need a flat wheel, not a dished one.

Sparco and Momo seem to be in the same price range. The guys at OG Racing like the Sparco stuff (they admit they are one of the largest Sparco dealers in the country, hence their slant) and say it's lighter in general than the Momo wheels. Weight is not a huge deal to me (this ain't no go kart), but feel, quality, appearance, durability and utility are.

I know there's the Grant stuff, but it seems sub-par in quality and appearance, although cheaper in alot of instances (lots of choices). The ones they have in the lower ranges aren't attractive to me.

Any other brands I'm missing?

Any preferences?

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

havent seen the sparco but i have a momo 3 spoke flat around 14" dia? on my car.

i cant remember my model but its discontinued now anyway.

and there IS a definite quality difference between the good ones and the cheapos..

check overseas-auto.com i think they have good pricing on them.

if you call ask for Jim..

Mike

Please DON'T use the Grant wheel (no offence to those that have them), but I think they are much better suited to domestic product, not foreign cars. To be fair, Grant has come a long way, but the connotation of lesser quality still lingers in my mind--maybe yours too.

My nicest steering wheel was an all black Personal wheel on my Datsun 510. Perfect size, shape, looks, etc. The Momo wheels look good, especially the Momo "Race" steering wheel. The "Monte Carlo" is one of the cheapest Momos and looks OK, but their other wheels look better. You could also try looking at Italvolante steering wheels. The riceboy magazines like Sport Compact Car and the like are great places for these things. Nopi sells the stuff at good prices too.

David

PS Pete, I'm sure you know that the steering wheel in your car is the centerpiece of the interior. I was always happy with my expensive Personal steering wheel and never had any lack of compliments.

Guest Anonymous

well pauli i have to agree with you. the boat wheel is really cool. no just kidding but was funny though. are you going to mount a big 6in compass on the dash also? later, chris

Guest Anonymous

I have a Grant wheel on mine. Its of the Signature series. It looks and works pretty good, is comfortable. Mine is of the faux mahogony wood rim variety, with a billet looking center and small horn button. (Ok, its plastic, but its a decent representation of wood). They're quality is a bit better than the old metalflake stamped steel ones they made in the 70's. smile.gif

Pete, I take no offense though, given a bit more cash I might have gone with something else.

Lone

This is what I have:

729.jpeg

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited January 29, 2001).]

Guest Fast Frog

That's the one!! Ain't she a beauty?!?!

(sniff, sniff) I know, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder! The other Grant Signature wheel that I'm partial to is the "Rally" style. It's black annidized alum with four spokes-two coming down toward the driver's legs with a configured wheel perimeter for better gripping in road rally type driving.

I'm not dumping on the Grant steering wheels! Like I said, they have come a long way--and you are right, the signature series is beautiful, but when compared to some of the Momo wheels(with price taken out of the picture), I just can't help but choose the Momos. smile.gif

David

Guest JAMIE T

Did he say beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder? I have a couple of Grant wheels also and a LaCarra wheel made specifically for a corvette,(alum spokes with a fat leather wrapped grip) but my favorite is the real mohagony grip and polished spokes like the one on Goodmans 250 GTO. besides you can put any emblem you want on the horn button, we all have computers don't we? see something you like, scan it, buy a steering wheel, not a name.

[This message has been edited by JAMIE T (edited January 29, 2001).]

It's not the name!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you had the opportunity to grab a good Italian made steering wheel? I'm in the car business and I get to drive lots and lots of cars--stock, modified, etc. Guys at work here have the sig series Grant wheels in their pick ups and Dusters, etc. Having been around both, and having owned the Italian one, I'll pay a bit extra to go with the euro-made wheels; they feel better and look better to me. I'm done.

Guest Fast Frog

I hate to dispell some notions about the looks of the Grant steering wheel. I've got several on my batch of Zs and They look pretty good too me (beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Now I'm not talking about the standard inexpensive $45=/- wheel, I'm talking about the Grant Signature series. The one on blue show car is slightly dished with 3 satin aluminum spokes with the Ferarri type circle holes spaced evenly in each spoke (wish I had a scanner to show them). It's got a thick 1" dia black rubberized padded grip around the wheel-great for quick steering!! It also has the "Z" horn button. MSA and others have them for $115-$130 and up. I guess I just didn't like the looks of the MoMo and others-too "European" too pricey.

Just my 1/50th of a $

I've got two Momo Wheels - oneon my car and one out of my parts car. Like some of the others I get a little icky thinking about Grant - partially because some of the adapters I've seen for them are pretty poor quality (sigh). The Momo wheels I've got aren't new but seem to have worn very well and I'm sticking with them. Pete, if you happen to wander down this way I'd be more than happy to show them to you and maybe part with the wheel that's not currently on the car.

FWIW - I've looked at some of the Grant wheels. The "carbo tech" type wheel looked neat but I worried it would heat up in the Summer too much. I'm just thankful I've already got a good wheel and don't have to go through this decisions - it would be a tough one!

Oh, and I believe that if you pick out a hweel from MSA it'll be a Grant when it hits your doorstep. I've heard bitching on other boards that what they display is a Momo type wheel with no logo but that they ship Grants. Buyer beware...

Guest Anonymous

Yeah thats one of my only bitches with the Grant wheel I have. The adapter is a folded metal piece that adapts the 5 center screws to the part that actually bolts on the steering column (like a little hat with five legs). Once I get my swap in and running and have a little more time I'm going to machine a solid billet piece to replace it and make it more solid. Oh well, it works, and gives me something to hold onto that isn't Queen Mary sized like the Datsun wheel.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

You can see my wheel below.... I don't know what brand it is, but it's plenty comfy. I don't like the vinyl covering, I wish it was leather or at least leather-esque. No pleather though, that's reserved for the hottie's pants! smile.gif

Other than wishing it wasn't slick vinyl, I like it just fine and it fits properly. The adaptor even has the little nubs to turn the turn signal off.

interior.jpg

PS. The PO had the msa cupholder thing, and it didn't come with the car(thankfully)! smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

I've got one of those signature thingies too. All black, 3 spokes, but unlike the picture above, it has more bolts holding the horn button on. It has a Z in the middle. I'll sell it to ya :-)

I wanna get a D-shaped one so i can slide into my bucket seats more easily. I like the Formual 1 look too!

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Anonymous

Ahhh, ya want a wheel making entry easier huh? I can probably scare up a 8" diameter one with a really cool chain like rim.. wink.gif

Rediculously,

Lone

Thanks for all the responses! I was away on business and just got back to check things out here.

I still don't know which way I'll go, but it will definitely be leather or leatherette and not rubber, foam, hottie pant material, etc. wink.gif.

Yes, I will throw money in this direction. Not too many parts of the car you actually have your hands on more than the tiller! And since your hands are sensitive things, a really nice wheel makes sense to me. Remember, this is the snowball car we're talking about - it's snowballed into a probably-done-too-nice thing, and less of a budget driver.