HybridZ

Silicone Valve Cover Gasket

I have always had a leaking valve cover gasket on my car and I know it isn't a cover or head problem. It's the gasket itself. The Fel-Pro gaskets have some kind of two-layer paper material with a metal weave in the middle. The problem is, the metal weave leaves a nice channel for oil to seep out. With an internally oiled cam, the thing seems to just about shoot right at the side of the valve cover and down into this area.

Anyways, I looked about and found a manufacturer that can make them. He doesn't currently, but would even do a one-off for me as a start. He usually makes aircraft gaskets since those guys HAVE to have leaks sealed up. He is fairly close to me (one state over) and I've dealt with plenty of vendors in the past (since I have a tier 1 auto business; I make "Genuine OEM" parts).

I know according to the rules that I cannot do a group buy on these (and I am not going to get in the middle anyways), but if I work with the guy to get the design honed, is anyone interested in buying one of these? Pessimistically, I'd expect them to go for ~$35. Not asking for a list, not asking for money, etc. Just talk and curiosity. I can have just one made for myself; I don't need to make promises to him to get what I need for myself. However, it will determine just how picky and detailed I get before I am happy with the final design.

The other thing is, I need a spare valve cover. :( I gave my spare away when I shipped a good P90 to someone...

A guy in town swore by this stuff called "the Right Stuff". It's a silicone type of goop that is actually made for using as valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets. Several people I know have used them with amazing success. Maybe give that a try?

It comes in a silicone gone type cartridge as well as one of those self pressurized deals.

Man, am I the only guy that covets the OEM Nissan Hard as a Board Fiber Valve Cover Gasket?

I'm running original gaskets I harvested on the covers from the 80's, and they were 10 years old THEN!