HybridZ

Diagnosis : Z

Hey guys, I just bought a 280zx Turbo, for 800 bucks.

I've never owned a Z car before and I'm really excited about getting it running :eek: I just need your help with my little haunted Z car issue.

I got it, turned it over, no spark. Ok. I checked for spark at the wires, nothing, while cranking. I changed the Dizzy, rotor, spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, and ignition module.

Nothing.

When I unplug the coil wire from the top of the dizzy and lay it near a piece of bare, grounded metal, and I try to crank the car, I get a single spark when the car goes to the ON postion (meaning just the lights in the car come on.) and when I CRANK it, i get nothing. But when I turn the key from the RUN position to the OFF position, i see a spark jump the gap on the coil wire.

So to recap. While cranking, I get no spark. When the car is turned to the ON positon, I see a single spark jump the gap between the coil wire, and the grounded metal. As when i turn it to OFF, I see a spark jump the gap, as the lights in the vehicle go out.

I've verified the coil is good (ohmmeter test) and the ignition module is good. Checked for broken grounds, and everything seems good. Everything is in tight, no cracks on dizzy (brand new, as with the rotor)

Is my Z haunted? Help from anyone who can get me driving. I cannot wait to be rolling around in my CLASSIC BOOSTED Z!!!

Sincerely,

Excited Z owner

I would suspect something is wired backwards on the coil somehow, but I am not familiar enough with the wiring and EFI /ignition setup on an 83 turbo to be able to help you. However, if you google the term xenon s130 you should find a website that has a page on it with your Factory Service Manual on it (at least, I THINK the turbos are covered there?)

I have been too lazy to memorize the direct link because, well, technically these FSM files *are* pirated material even though they are obsolete factory literature. I know google works because any time I need to find the page that is how I do it.

What year is your zx? If I remember correctly, '81 is mounted on the front damper and all other years are in the distributor underneath the rotor. See the picture below.

Everyone is saying stuff about the CAS. I've seen diagrams of where it is, but i cant find it, nor do i know how to change it. blasts.

82_280zxt_distributor_thumb.jpg

Edited by rossman
uploaded picture