HybridZ

Will this break my air conditioner?

AkumaNoZeta

I just bought a window mount air conditioner for my bedroom but the cord doesn't reach the outlet and I dont have any extension cords or a surge protector or anything like that to make it reach so I just have it on my table. At first I thought this was a cool idea because it will just keep circulating the air making it colder and colder but a friend of mine said that it will freeze up and kill it. Is she right?

Thermodynamically it's impossible for the air conditioner to cool the room in that configuration. If it were perfect (100% effecient), then it would put the same amount of heat back into the air as it was pulling out of the air. Since it is not 100% efficient, it will actually heat the room.

Think of it like an energy pump. When installed in a window, it takes energy (in the form of heat) out of the air in your room, and dumps it into the air outside. Sitting on your table, it's taking heat from the air it draws in on one side, and dumping it back into air in the same room. Then when you add in the inefficiencies (such as friction inside the motor, creating more heat), the net energy (heat) gain in the room is positive.

It won't lock up/die, but the point is moot.

Oh, now that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about it like that. I was wondering why it was cold when I'm sitting in front of it but then you go anywhere else in my room its hot. Whenever I get my next check I'll be going to get a cord now. I have a nasty habit of when I get my checks I usually spend it on either car parts or books.