Bad knock

craiglew

rebuild it or swap  

1 member has voted

1. 1. rebuild it or swap

• rebuild
    • swap

• 2 weeks later...

What is your intake manifold vacuum at idle??

A well tuned STOCK engine should pull 18-21 inches of mercury, WITH A STEADY NEEDLE!

A hotter cam willl lower this reading. Your fuel pressure will increase as a result.

130 psi compression could be the result of a very hot cam. What I saw of the video goes along with a hot cam.

What is your idle speed?

DUCT TAPE is not an acceptable way to repair the intake boot between the MAF and THROTTLE.

ANY LEAK WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS. As a result people try to tune around this problem and throw EVERYTHING out of wack.

Start with a good boot, and correct ignition timing.

DUCT TAPE is not an acceptable way to repair the intake boot between the MAF and THROTTLE.

ANY LEAK WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS. As a result people try to tune around this problem and throw EVERYTHING out of wack.

Start with a good boot, and correct ignition timing.

any Idea where I can order one? checked the local yards and no luck?

the duck tape came with the car... I agree. but I still dont think that is (or only) the problem.. I can tell the prev owner messed with the afm seems to be missing parts on the bottom to bolt or secure it to the body bracket and the afm also has a yard writting on it..

Fuel pressure spec at idle is 30 psi, at filter.

A stuck open injector can cause flooding. You obviously have more than 1 problem.

Start by fixing what is broken/out of spec.

WHAT IS YOUR MANIFOlD VACUUM????? This is an excellent indicator for mechanical, and other problem diagnosis!!!

You haven't read through the EFI bibl,e or if you have, then you weren't paying attention to any of the diagnostic or rpeair procedures laid out.

You are running absurdly rich, and have super low fuel pressure. You are not running very smoothly, and you HAD uneven compression, which has gone away.

On top of all that, you are splattering black sooty fuel nastiness out your exhaust.

You have one fuel injector clogged open, hence the low fuel PSI. your engine is getting too much air, and nowhere near enough fuel (except on the one or two cylinders with clogged injectors.)

Pull your spark plugs and I bet they don't all look the same.

Go RTFM and come back when you can demonstrate an understanding of the concepts involved.

problem is'nt too little fuel..... its too much fuel

Sorry to be harsh about it, but read my sig; (wisdom etc) You keep telling us what the problem is and is not, but you don't what know the problem is or you wouldn't be asking us. If you want the help, it is time to learn how to accept it.

Well i guess all i can say is your not here for help and your recomending i find the problem myself. If i did miss something thats why im asking... And your supposed to give educated sugestions"thought thats the point of the forum

Upon your rant you may have helped... Will recheck injectors.. Had been replaced before.

Guess i wont ask for any help.... And i hate sounding like an azz

For the record, I used the term RTFM to invoke a little humor, and not to inject anger.

I'm trying to help you, or I would save my effort in posting. Like I said, sorry to sound harsh but I was giving advice I deemed would likely help you. No need for you to apologize, I knew I was rubbing you a little rough.

My point was one I have repeated a thousand times before: none of us here really have very much to add to the contents of the EFI bible; that book is the root of many individual knowledge bases here (mine included.) The only other helpful resource is experience, and time in understanding the principles taught by "the book." I tell people to read through the first section, then immediately read through it again, then read through each little test procedure for each component, and then re read the first section AGAIN, and then go back and look at their car. That is lesson one, and the rest of the class is simply reading the book repetitively, and tinkering with the car repeatedly. Going back and forth, until you know what to expect, is the best way to learn how to use it.

Now, that was more or less my standard "This is how to use the EFI bible" schpiel.. What I am saying to you is, step back, slow down, and re evaluate your problem without assuming anything. Start at square one and begin again, and answers fall out of the sky.

Sometimes it takes an arse-wipe, behaving like an arse-wipe, to kick you in the right direction. I AM trying to help you, not berate you to make myself look all big and smart. (Truth of the matter is, I am good at making mistakes. Because of that, I know how mistakes are made, and I am ALSO good at interrupting people who make my mistakes. And THAT is what these forums are all about, right????)