HybridZ

Preparations for a hoist?

janaka

So as some of you know I'm building a house this summer :)

We are at the point of signing off on the details of the build shortly. We have done most of the 'regular' upgrades at the gallery and such. They know that I'm a car guy as my wife (who works for the builder) drives the Z to the office frequently during the summer months. They know that I'm wanting in the future to put a hoist in my garage. I need to tell them what I need to be done during the building to allow me to add one later.

I've snooped through some threads on here as it seems that everything in some shape or another has been covered..lol..

I think I saw that I'll need a minimum of 6" of concrete depth where the posts will be installed. I think I have heard that concrete comes in different PSI ratings? If so what rating would be appropriate for this application? I'm probably going to be looking at a 9000lb 2 post lift.

Also what ceiling height should I ask for? I'm thinking 12' or higher if possible to get fully under the Z while standing. The units I"m looking at get the lift points to a bit over 6.5' off the ground which will be nice as I'm 6' :)

Obviously electrical to the garage to accomodate it will be needed as well.

Any help from those with a hoist or knowledge of them would be welcomed as usual.

Thanks in advance

Jason

call me daft, but if the hoist can lift 9000lb, then the concrete should be able to support that weight?

how big is the base of the post? say 10 square inches of space? times 2 posts.

now you have a rough idea of how much surface pressure your hoist will place on the ground when its loaded with 9000lbs

I would want my concrete to support that weight, at a minimum.

I would also suggest making the part of the concrete where it bolts in, slightly raised, to help any fluids drain out.

coolant, trans fluid, water ect, can corrode the concrete over time and you dont want that around the base supports.

now, i have NO building experience whatsoever, so dont take it as gospel.

I only have years of experience working in workshops, and having been an apprentice cleaning around the things.

Edited by Nizm0Zed
typo's

You should call a couple of different car lift installers / manufactures and construction companies and find out what they recommend in terms of concrete depth, reinforcement, PSI and etc.

Also I think that it was dr_hunt that had a thread in the members projects where he poured concrete and installed a lift.

Well, the mounting plates are much larger than 10 square inches. I have a 9000 lb 2 post lift and the base plates measure 14" x 19" = 266 square inches each. 9000/(266x2)= 17 lb/sq-in. I have seen lifts on 4" of concrete work fine, however 6" is preferred due to anchor bolt placement. Concrete comes in various psi ratings and is directly proportional to the amount of cement vs rock,sand,flyash in the mix. 3000psi is more than adequate. I poured a 6 inch slab but then I routinely place 50000 lb or heavier equipment on my slab.

You could pour a 6 inch thick portion just for the lift bases and 4 inch everywhere else IMO. Concrete is pretty cheap so you may find that doing a 14x 17 area where you work all 6".

As for ceiling height your probably going to want 12' if you can get it. A z would fit under a 10'6 or 11' ceiling IMO but the two post lift has a top crossbar or a bottom crossbar. If it's a top crossbar then that's your limit. I'd get the top crossbar IMO leaves clear floor area. Go 12' and you'll be glad you did on the ceiling.

Electrical requirements are not much a 30 amp plug and circuit for 220V. You only need one and can switch for air compressor, lift or welder. Rarely will you need more than one but if you wish have 2 each 220V 30A outlets to be golden. Of course your 110V outlets should be abundant also.

Well, the mounting plates are much larger than 10 square inches. I have a 9000 lb 2 post lift and the base plates measure 14" x 19" = 266 square inches each. 9000/(266x2)= 17 lb/sq-in. I have seen lifts on 4" of concrete work fine, however 6" is preferred due to anchor bolt placement. Concrete comes in various psi ratings and is directly proportional to the amount of cement vs rock,sand,flyash in the mix. 3000psi is more than adequate. I poured a 6 inch slab but then I routinely place 50000 lb or heavier equipment on my slab.

You could pour a 6 inch thick portion just for the lift bases and 4 inch everywhere else IMO. Concrete is pretty cheap so you may find that doing a 14x 17 area where you work all 6".

As for ceiling height your probably going to want 12' if you can get it. A z would fit under a 10'6 or 11' ceiling IMO but the two post lift has a top crossbar or a bottom crossbar. If it's a top crossbar then that's your limit. I'd get the top crossbar IMO leaves clear floor area. Go 12' and you'll be glad you did on the ceiling.

Electrical requirements are not much a 30 amp plug and circuit for 220V. You only need one and can switch for air compressor, lift or welder. Rarely will you need more than one but if you wish have 2 each 220V 30A outlets to be golden. Of course your 110V outlets should be abundant also.

Awesome information. I know the builder generally pours 4" concrete in the basement. I'll see if they will pour 6" for the middle bay as that is where the hoist will go. I will also let them know about the 3000psi concrete as I'm not sure what mixture they use for general construction.

12' cielings will be my goal, a touch higher if possible but I'm think 12' is going to be the max based on the house/roof line. Electrical should be no problem as well.

Thanks again for the info. I will also be cross referencing this with a few manufacturer's websites to make sure all the basis' are covered.

Jason