HybridZ

SCCA question

Owen

http://www.scca.org

Solo 2 - low speed (70 mph or less) events held in large parking lots, air strips, etc. where the course is marked with cones and you get three timed runs. They are very safe and are low stress on the car.

Solo 1 - high speed time-trial events usually held on a race track or on a closed public road (hill climbs.) No wheel-to-wheel racing but there still a risk of injury/damage/death.

Your V8 Z would be classed:

Solo 1 and Solo 2 - at any National and Divisional level event - E Modified (you would be an "also ran".) At local events there's always a "run what ya brung" class where your car would fit in. Solos are pretty casual and the organizers will find a class for your car where you have some good competition and lots of fun.

Road Racing - real wheel to wheel racing. You would run in a local ITE (Improved Touring) or SP (Super Production) class. Your will have to meet all the safety rules in the SCCA GCR and, at least here in SoCal, you'll bang fenders with highly modified Corvettes, Saleen Mustangs, Vipers, ex-NASCAR, and Porsche Turbos.

Good luck...

------------------

John Coffey

johnc@betamotorsports.com

Unfortunately, it (well it was year before last) is E modified. You basically run against anything other than the formula cars. My competition was mostly spitfires with high HP Toyota engines in them, and the occational turbo Rx7's (radical). On the long courses (Air Force bases and some road course cut-in's), I didn't do too bad. The really tight courses where the Z couldn't stretch it's legs were tough.

Terry

Guest Anonymous

Here in Albuquerque there is a new track that opened up last year. It's 1.6 mi long with a couple of oval tracks too. The club that runs most of the events is Southwest Motorsports. They do Vintage racing for the most part...pre 67 and pre 72 in some cases. The V8Z here would run in contempory sports car class which I believe would be the Porches, Vettes and such. It's not SCCA, but wheel to wheel. You have to have an approved driving liscence by one of the main organizations SCCA etc. I'm goin to their drivers school for $190 in the end of March...gotta get my Z on the road! biggrin.gif

------------------

Chris