HybridZ

Help with shifter. Whats the best for the buck... aaaahhh mo

getting ready to try and install the 350 and the th350 Sunday(later a 700r4) and I have two questions.

Can the shifter be installed after the engine and tranny is bolted up or will it be impossible to connect the shift cable in the narrow tunnel? This is the main question since pulling the motor back out to connect the shifter would bad.

And what shifter should I buy and how much should it cost?

ok, three questions icon_biggrin.gif

are the shifters compatable with both th350 and 700r4. Thanks for your help again icon_smile.gif

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: 72zcar ]

Guest nosz350

i think the B&M pro stick is the best bang for the buck.it will work on 350 and 700.unless you have small arm you better put the shifter in first it can be done after but its a pain in the butt.

Guest Anonymous

Quite a few aftermarket shifters have different gates you can put in to change from a three speed auto to four speed. Check summit or jegs for info.

Regards,

Lone

hey,

I'm looking at the B&m Mega Shifter. It looks like it might be a good choice for my auto tranny(not sure). What do you guys think?

They offer two models, a universal model and a console model that it says is designed for Camaro and firebird. So what I'm wondering is should i buy a regular or a console model? Will the console fit in the zcars console?

Either one it seems like the console in the z will have to be cut up some, right?

I realize most of you guys are using t5, t56 trannys but any help with the shifter choice would be great, thanks, Bob in CAnull

Mega Shifter and Hammer are VERY similar. Unless your tunnel is VERY Tight to your trans I can't see installing it prior to tranny install. They're cable shifters and at least on a 700R4 the linkage is down on the bottom side of the trans for relatively easy access and the upper shifter part is all bolted on the car so no need IMO to install ahead. Do pick one that supports both which the above do. I recall measuring various 'hammer' models to see what was shortest (wife gave me the 'hammer' for Xmas 1.5 years ago and totally surprised me icon_smile.gif ) but can't recall the results/ I know I stayed with my universal model as same height as the console AIR.

I haven't put my console back in since and it looks fine/black carpet/black shifter housing.

Now one thing I would IDEALLY like is to have 'sunken' my shifter install so the main housing is lower in the car. The handle is at the right height for me v. close to the bottom edge of my wheel but I'd like that 'large' somewhat obtrusive IMO housing sunken down........didn't have time to make a shifter 'sump' to hang down in my tunnel at the time. It can come v. close to fitting stock console if sunken on a 280zx so might fit as is on a 240z/geometry depending.

I chose the hammer/mega shifter as feedback said it would suit me best for my roadracing with very positive one gear only up AND down whereas not all are as easy to downshift. I've liked it to date but it is firmer effort than I expected. Use loctite on all those little fasteners and add lockwashers if any don't have them as mine all got loose both up top/and below at my linkage on the trans....

pro stick etc is likely more preferred for straight liners or wknd warriors?

HTH

I didn't have any trouble installing my shifter after installing the 383/200-4R in my '72. I bought a Hurst Quarter Stick pistol grip shifter. It's a very nice shifter, but kind of expensive, $220. It's compact enough to fit in the hole in the original 4-spd console without any cutting.

Don

Don't know if this helps much because I have a ZX, but I installed the B&M Console Model (82-92)Camaro Megashifter, and it fits very well. Had to do some minor trimming of the shifter hole, and make my own brackets, but I would do it again. I've had several B&M shifters over the last several years, and I've never had any problems with them. Cheapest place I've seen is Summit or Jegs for $150.