HybridZ

LT1 steam vent option

Anyone with an LT1 knows what a mess getting the steam out of these engines can be. Steam and therefore water get sprayed all over everything and lord forbid even on the optispark. I was surfing around and discovered these. http://custom-car-store.yourcustomcar.com/page56.html They come with a hose you could route to catch the coolant so it doesn't spray all over the engine. I got 2, one for the thermostat housing and one for the fitting in the head steam pipe which on my car is in series with the heater hose. I haven't tried using them yet but they will be going on my new engine I am getting ready to build.

I am missing something...why are the steam lines on an LT1 a problem?

I have always plumbed them into the coolant lines and never had any leaks or problems so exactly what problem is it you are fixing?

I have transplanted seven LT1's and I don't understand why this was a problem in your Z.

How do you bleed off the air on initail coolant fills? Air get trapped in the heads of the LT1 and if you don't vent it off you can get a blockage and have overheating. If you haven't experienced that good for you but its a common problem with LT1s even in F-body cars. Thats why GM puts the vent on these engines. All these parts do is give the steam and coolant somewhere to go other than all over the engine during the initial venting to get that air out. Not an issue during normal operation.

I am missing something...why are the steam lines on an LT1 a problem?

I have always plumbed them into the coolant lines and never had any leaks or problems so exactly what problem is it you are fixing?

I have transplanted seven LT1's and I don't understand why this was a problem in your Z.

How do you bleed off the air on initail coolant fills?

I add water into the radiator hose on the drivers side of the water pump and then I use the bleeder. It is not hard to do and works extremely well since the hose is higher than the engine and the bleeder hardly needs to be used.

Air get trapped in the heads of the LT1 and if you don't vent it off you can get a blockage and have overheating.

Only if you do not bleed the air.

If you haven't experienced that good for you but its a common problem with LT1s even in F-body cars.

I you don't bleed the air yes you will overheat. If you raise the hose as mentioned there is no problem.

Thats why GM puts the vent on these engines. All these parts do is give the steam and coolant somewhere to go other than all over the engine during the initial venting to get that air out. Not an issue during normal operation.

I use a rag it barely gets wet.

The hose works great for me good luck with the additional bleeder