HybridZ

About to buy my first Z, what to look for?

WreZ

Hey guys i joined the forum a few months back and have really been inactive since then but i have some great news. Tomorrow i'll be looking at purchasing a 1982 280zx with 115k original miles, that has been completely restored interior wise (which is what i would hate to restore the most). My question is are there any problems that are recurrent with these models I should look out for to save myself some headaches down the road (pun intended)

Anything that has to do with electricity has a strong chance of giving you difficulty. Your best bet is to purchase a set of relays and take your time installing them into important circuits (like headlights, starter motor solenoid, fuel pump, and any other major circuits I'm forgetting. Also, get ahold of a camera so you can take some pics to show us :)

Welcome to hybridz!

Look for rust in the back those triangle windows are notorious leakers. See if there is still any steel left in the bottom of the spare tire bucket. Test all your lighting circuits, window wipers, window washer, controls, turn signals, windows unlike the guy who asked for help after he bought the car and found out nothing worked when he got home. Rear window defrogger breathe on it and see if it works you'll need it. Look at the conditiion of the hydraulic fluid in the brake and clutch system. If jet black probably means the owner was hot on appearance and not to hot on maintenance. With the car idling pull the oil filler cap. If car runs worse good if nothing changes you got a vacuum leak to track down. Inspect battery cables for corrosion zx don't like low voltage. If it has the automatic climate control double check on that - they have a tendency to fail so that you either have all hot air or all a/c. Check it in all modes. If digital dash be sure everything lights up they sometimes go dark in spots. Depends also on what you are paying for the car. If she be cheap then you can afford to do some stuff but if paying top dollar everything should be top grade also. My experience is that often what is advertised as primo interior is to mask mechanical defects. If the owner spent a ton on the interior and neglected the parts that make it go you may not be happy with it. Look at all the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment bend em around and see if they are flexible or hard. Lots of problems on the zx are vacuum related. Five speed or auto makes a difference although I haven't heard anything too bad about the zx auto tranny. if manual see if the clutch slips in the higher gears when you punch it. They are pretty bulletproof if taken care of but remember it is old enough to drink so things will go awry but if you are a fair wrench usually easy to get it going again. make a check list for yourself and go down it and check things off that work. helps to have a buddy or wife unit along to either operate lights or verify that they work.

do the ECU SWAP to Z31!!! So much better hehe

other than that as said above!! REPLACE ALL VACUUM LINES seriously!.. mine ran beautifully for 10 years 1981 280zx N/A was a wonderful car tons of fun. Now its becoming part of my newer purchase 1981.5 280zxt (300zxt ECU Swap 1987)