HybridZ

So someone hit my Z today...

And I won :icon45:

Delivering a pizza to a hotel here in Merced, and when I get back to my car I see that someone managed to slam a front headlight into my rear bumper. They left glass everywhere, and my bumper only got pushed in and the rubber strip on it torn off in a 4" strip on the corner.

So, is there any special way to move my bumper back to it's original position (doesn't look like it hit the body itself or anything), or it just a matter of yanking it back into position?

Is the bumper itself okay? If so, I'm guessing just the bracket is damaged. Just buy a new bracket... or make one.

Bumper itself looks fine, just the rubber part got taken off (and probably cause it was rotted already). From what I could see of the bracket when I got home tonight, it looks mostly ok (or atleast, the mounting part of it does).

AK-Z, where does it unbolt from? I assume from inside the body panels around the gas tank?

You're going to have be reaching from under the bumper, should just be 2x 17mm nuts holding it on the the bumper shock IIRC, You can keep the other one attached and just pivot the bumper out of the way.

You're going to have be reaching from under the bumper, should just be 2x 17mm nuts holding it on the the bumper shock IIRC, You can keep the other one attached and just pivot the bumper out of the way.
He has a 240Z, not a 280Z. 240Zs don't have shocks.

There should be two bolts on the back for each bracket, two brackets total. On the sides, I *think* there's just one bolt holding it on each side. Pretty simple. I'm not sure how you get to the side bolts on a normal 240Z though (mine had been messed with). For the side bolts, I don't know if you go in from under the car, and you can get them there, or if you have to take off the interior panels and get it that way.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. No work this upcoming thursday, and it's going up on stands anyway for some stuff, so I'll get the bumper then to see what the deal is.

rturbo, if the 240s didn't have shocks, were they just metal bolted together, and simple friction prevented excess movement? The 1/3 page in the FSM isn't nearly enough to see how they are setup.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. No work this upcoming thursday, and it's going up on stands anyway for some stuff, so I'll get the bumper then to see what the deal is.

rturbo, if the 240s didn't have shocks, were they just metal bolted together, and simple friction prevented excess movement? The 1/3 page in the FSM isn't nearly enough to see how they are setup.

As far as I can tell, yes, they were just metal bolted together. My car had lots of accident/rust repair work so it's possible there might be more to it (ie, PO changed something), but I don't think there is. You'll find out when you go to take it apart.

Just some shaped thick metal and a few bolts held my bumpers on.

He has a 240Z, not a 280Z. 240Zs don't have shocks.

There should be two bolts on the back for each bracket, two brackets total. On the sides, I *think* there's just one bolt holding it on each side. Pretty simple. I'm not sure how you get to the side bolts on a normal 240Z though (mine had been messed with). For the side bolts, I don't know if you go in from under the car, and you can get them there, or if you have to take off the interior panels and get it that way.

Oops, didn't realize :P