HybridZ

front windshield chrome trim removal

madkaw

I could only find one thread on this, but it sounds like that it is nearly impossible to get the chrome trim off without tearing up the clips. It also sounds like it is impossible to reinstall trim in the factory method. I have the similiar problem of rust around the windshield that I need to fix. I pulled off the top trim and not much was identifiable as far as clips. The side trims seem a little more stubborn and I was afraid to pull to hard until I posted here for some help. I would gladly take some recommendations from folks that have successfully done this manuever. I only want to do this once, but I believe the water leak by the gas pedal is coming from around the bottom of the windshield because of rust issues.

Open the driver side door and pull on the weather stripping on the anterior pillar, exposing the phillips screws. Do the same for the passenger side. Once you've unscrewed them, wiggle them out. Be patient. Forget about saving the clips. They're plastic that's bonded to place with urethane. Cut them with a knife and snap them off. I took mine off without bending the trimmings. I have the same problem with rust. You can tack them in with adhesive during installation if you don't have new clips. I'm thinking of installing a used windshield from the junkyard myself. I'll post it if I do. AutoZone has the window weld and butyl rolls for installation. Harbor Freight tools has some neat windshield tools. Hope this helps you out.

Okay, I called black dragon and they sell the rubber molding that actually has the clips already molded into it. I thought I saw a piece of rubber molding when i took the SS trim off, but it was deteriorated pretty badly to be sure. Black dragon sells the upper and lower strip -50$ each- that I guess gets gued in place and then the trim snaps down on it. This repair is going to be costly and time consuming. I will try and take pics to document the repair for future reference.

I have done the rust repair above the windshield a few years back. I used a pair of pliers to grip the end of the trim and slide it back and forth and eventually it came out. You might not get lucky. The best way to remove the chrome trims without bending them is to cut the clips. You will need to buy new ones anyway. I bought a set of these clips from MSA and I didn't use them. If you need them we can work out a deal so you can save a bit of money. I can return to MSA but I didn't have time. Plus they can only credit me for the clips and not giving me back my cash. Let me know.

Vinh

PS. I found the front grill and the windshield trims for you also. If you are still interest in them.

I am rebuilding my 1980 and am at the pillars right now. I have found a flaw in the design arround the pillars and vallance. I have posted pics below. There is a seam that the valance covers that leads right to the kick panel on both sides. I slid a screwdriver down the hole to show where the leak is.The last pic is from the inside looking at the corner. There isn't mcuh room but you can get a can with a straw of rust proofing in there. I pealed back the metal, took a putty knife under the windsheild and cut away adhesive back to where I couldn't feel any rust underneath, wire brushed, took a pick and cleaned away factory seam seal (what were they thinking when they used this porous stuff), rust proof area, self-etch primer, and proform pf 214 firm and flex rubber sealant. If you own a zx you really should look at yours. I live in a rainforrest so any leak is 10 fold here.

I would suggest you grab those clips offered to you and cut the old off. Use 2 sided pro tape for moldings to install. easy. Good luck

8_thumb.jpg

12_thumb.jpg

14159_thumb.attach

11_thumb.jpg

Vin,

are your clips embedded in a rubber strip? That's what it looks like on the windshield now. I haven't recieved the clips from Black Dragon yet, so I'm not sure what they look like, but I will post a pic. islanddozer, I will check that out thanks.