HybridZ

My MS2 is cutting at 4500 rpm ??

delorean6584

Hi all, i have a 2nd trouble with my ms wich is somewhat fun.... the engine cuts at 4500rpm ! i checked all the megatune options(including the rev limiter) but nothings is supposed to cut ! fuel and spark maps are all good to 7500 but the engine did not revs up 4500, i didnt noticed it before because i didnt ride the car much and wanted to slowly tune the maps before... the dizzy is off a 82 turbo connected as mobythevan diagrams, the ms timing is good megatune rpm shows exactly 4500 when it cuts, my lc1 gauge shows fully lean when it cuts but if the fire cut then no fuel is burnt ? anyway what component could do that ? i mean if the dizzy runs fine, the wires are okay it need to be some tuning in MS ? anybody ran across that ?

yan

i do not log with the LC-1, as for megatune the rpm cuts a 4500, dwell doesnt change at all, all temps are solid, and it always cut at 4500 solid not 4501 or 4499, even in neutral or all gears...if you want i could log a file of that even in neutral wich takes a bout 4 seconds to do, but there is no info of the fuel mix because the lc1 isnt connected to ms

Guest Rolling Parts

82 dizzy but what is the spark advance set to at 4500?

I'm just wondering if it's not MS at all and it's just an alignment problem between the cap and rotor. Try dropping the spark advance a few degrees at 4500 in MS and see if the engine gets past 4500 alive. If so, then check the cap/rotor alignment (you may just be advancing beyond the point where the rotor can transfer the spark to the connections on the cap).

Hi some news there....i tried to play with my dizzy to be sure it wasnt to far and same thing, cuts at 4500, so i logged the thing ! it is at idle speed to rev up to 4500, no driving there, some things are funny in that log, looks like something is happening, duty cycles are falling along with rpm... maybe you guys could tell what seems wrong....

here is the file

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag162b0/n/datalog24mai_xls

you are right matt, i took off the dizzy, hooked up a drill on it and watched/logged the megatune, wich cutted at 4500 like the car, but the drill wasnt loosing speed so the dizzy is bad !

does the captor inside is replaceable or i need a complete unit...this one if off ebay of last year, would prefer buy a new sensor than a 20+years old dizzy again!

Guest Rolling Parts
AutoZone part number 31-1003. Remanufactured 1982 280zx Turbo distributor with lifetime warranty. $227.99? There's an option for you!

I had the same problem with the old dizzy too.

I saw what it would be to replace it ($230) and so instead I bought a distributorless system for half of that!

You might have a look at: http://www.boostengineering.net/product_p/edis6kit.htm and then maybe chunk that whole dizzy for something a little more stable/new/cheaper? It was a trick to have the trigger wheel welded to the pulley and the VR rigged up, but it runs really nicely and it works perfectly with the MSII.

sound like a good alternative, i didnt tough that a complete kit like this would be so cheap, new wiring to do tough... just finished the ms2 one.... but i won't buy a new dizzy, i will try to get one locally real cheap, if not available i will try to modify a n/a dizzy (i have 2), i don't have alot of time because i am buildint my new house, but if the n/a thing is to difficult to work with the edis6 will be the way to go !

thanks for the input !

Guest Rolling Parts

RockAutoParts ( http://www.rockauto.com/ )has just the pickup only for $153 and that sort of splits the difference in cost and might be a tad faster to just get it running. They list it for the 1982 turbo as:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX653

Pick-up and Crankshaft Position sensor assembly.

If it is the pickup in the turbo dizzy, that will fix it. If the remote diagnosis was incorrect (and it was a noisy connection in the tach wiring) then it will still have the odd behavior...