HybridZ

Are We Hybrids Cheap Or Just Ingenious?

Scottie-GNZ

My chip maker added a feature that now allows me to use a shift light and the RPM is adjustable without needing those pricey pills. So does a HybridZ call up Summit and order a shift-lite and pill for $90? No, we take a leftover miniature bulb from one of our gauges and hide it in the boost gauge bracket. The boost/egt gauge has a green skin on the bulbs and the "shift-lite" has a red skin and when it comes on, you know.

The little red dot to the left of the gauge is the shift light and note the target on the boost gauge biggrin.gif. I have yet to tickle that yellow band but soooon.

westach-combo.jpg

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

I still like the eject button Scottie has. biggrin.gif

Thats one heck of a nice gauge btw... Dare I ask how you got it "cheap"? smile.gif

Seriously, why spend big dollars if you don't NEED to? For anything?

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

i think were cheap and ingenious, i mean sure, a brand new ss maro will run 13's all day and looks cool and pretty quick, but wheres the satisfaction in knowing that you made your car just how you want it, and no warranty, finance, lease, or anything else can keep you from modifying it to high hell? i think we love our cars more because we had to work to make them what they are, this is something a lot of people do not understand

and i feel sorry for them. i think we all have to be weary of how we spend our money, get the most for the least while not sacrificing quality, its a fun little game we play isnt it. the fact thtat most of us have built our cars for performance instead of spending 30k on a car that you could modify but probably wont because itll void your warranty and that car isnt really yours for another five to fifty years. good words for the leaser, they havea a complete package from the start and dont have to worry about the same things as we do when we use our cars. they have this big oem safety net we dont have, security. gimmie half that money and im street legal nascar buddy....pump gas

right on scottie, i like your shift lite, think i could work out something like that to my tach? i really like that actually.

domestic motor in an import car, nahhhh....

------------------

http://photos.yahoo.com/lenster94116

come see the ghetto bird

Farilady327's right, people at the office look at me like I'm crazy or like they feel sorry for me (like I haven't been able to grow up yet).

To them a car is something that gets them around. To us, it's a lifestyle. (hey, that's pretty good!)

And we're not totally cheap! We spend good money on the critical parts don't we?

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Hey, Owen, I know where you're coming from.

I spend a great deal of my free time (usually carved out of my sleep budget) in car oriented stuff, after the job, and family are taken care of. I don't watch but an hour of TV a week, don't follow sports, etc.

The people at work think it's weird that I'd want to build a car and that I've been doing it for so long. I think they're weird (not really, but you know what I mean) for so closely following incredibly overpaid sports player's careers and the games they play. What's Mikelly's motto? "I will not be a spectator in the sport of life" or some such? I feel much the same way - I don't have desire or time to follow sports - I'd rather be interacting with the world using my two hands.

Yeah, to them, it probably appears to be a sickness. But it looks the same way to me as I look out from the rubber room of my garage wink.gif. Everybodies reality is a bit different. Some of ours are just a bit farther from the norm.

Signing off

(No! Get away! I don't like the straight jacket! Please, not that again! wink.gif )

Guest Anonymous

Perhaps a better term is 'Frugal' smile.gif Spend the money on the important stuff, but recycle, redesign and redeploy. The three R's of fast cars on a shoestring budget!

Idiot/indicator lights summit/speedshops 1/$5.00, R-shack 2/$1.00 all about being frugal. heh.. smile.gif

Lone

The gauge is made by Westberg, an aircraft gauge manufacturer, under the Westach brand. It is a 3" 0-30 boost/400-1800* EGT. The face of the boost was modded for me to have a yelloow warning band between 22-24psi. With a clamp K thermocouple, mounting cup/bracket and light kit, it cost me about $140.

As for the shift light, you obviously have to have an RPM trigger and I am sure some electronics wizard on the forum could tap into the tach wiring and come up with that. I know the folks who just bought SDS should already have the RPM trigger built in unless it is an option (I forgot).

www.westach.com - there is not a lot of automotive gauges on the site so request their catalog and keep in mind that they can custom build any kind of analog guage you require. I love their 4", 4-gauge combo or using a single gauge with a 4-pos switch to monitor say water, oil, trans & diff temps.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Recycle! That's the word! Don't you hate it when you buy something you can't return or is too much of a PITA to return? Like mail order?

The best feeling is when you pull that thing out again a couple of months later, chop it up, and use it from something else. I did that with a wrong upper alternator bracket I bought, chopped it up and used it to mount my remote oil filter adapter. Yeah!

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Cheap is such a harsh politically incorrect term; I prefer efficient! I had a chance to dismantle one of my father's old rusted out International P/Up's (seems like Internatioinal P/Up's is a family tradition) & saved all the wiring, wiring connectors. To this day I'll grab one of those multiple wiring connectors, force out the original wire w/an ice pick and install a new wire creating a positive connection on what ever project I'm working on at the time.

Efficient; Buzzard Efficient is what I'ld call it! Making sure not one iota goes to waste!

Besides; its the OEM mfg. that usually is trying to keep up w/the hot rodders. The OEM mfg's many times will discover a hot rodder's trick only to later adapt it to their "Next Years Model".

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Cheap? Why, Owen! You're talking to ME!

I refuse to spend more money than I have to. This does not mesh well with the fact that I've become spoiled to the quality of Mercedes and BMW cars. The ONLY way I can get the performance and durability I need at the price I want to pay is to build it myself. When I get done, I'll have a landbound cruise missile that is as comfortable as a 928 with the parts cost of a Vega, and gas mileage better than my BMW. And the entire driveline will be built from parts that can be replaced with off-the-shelf parts from any Autozone or Pep Boys in the nation for a pittance!

Why on Earth would I buy a car, when I can build a far better one myself for less money? It's a no-brainer.

Owen, your ideas are great, and I hope that one day I'll be able to take a ride in your creation. To call it a "car" just doesn't seem appropriate, at this point!

Much admiration to all of you who have succeeded where I am attempting to journey, my hat is truly off to you.

Scott Ferguson

The Original Cheap Bastard

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

Cheap is such a harsh politically incorrect term; I prefer efficient!

Why Kevin, I never thought you were PC! wink.gifCheap is better because it IS harsh--kinda shocking like our cars are shocking. I suppose a compromise is in order though: CHEAP = EFFICIENT biggrin.gif

David