HybridZ

My 280zxt turbo build.... :)

Challenger

Yeah, I got what he was saying. I really dont know why I mentioned the thing about the intake... I guess I was just waking up. :)

Yeah I have done what you mentioned with the spark plug wires. Ill have to do it again now that it seems like it is missing. And yes I have been shocked a couple times.

Also, a couple times Ive been slightly shocked by just touching the wires. Does this mean that the wire shielding is going bad? They look somewhat new so it kind of puzzled me. Could be that the wires are shorting out and loosing spark intermittently.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but Im gonna work on the car a little more and see if Its something else. Ill let you know soon.

Right now Im gonna try and finish my intake. I had pulled off the stock airbox and would like to replace the panty hose I put over the afm... :) Ill post some pictures of how it worked out.

Have you replaced and gap plugs recently?

Unless the wires are really crap, the path of least resistance should be the plugs.

Unless you were naked sucking on the neg post of battery, holding on to the wire with wet hand!!;)

Wires, may have become more resitive, or plugs. Ground to engine may be poor as well.

I gapped them when I first got the car and on several occasions cleaned them with a stainless brush even though they looked fairly clean.

I will be checking on the ground again. Thats one reason I removed the battery tray, the carwas grounded to rust... I did a temp fix on ground but I think I can find something that would ground better.

Also, there isnt any miss. All cylinders are getting fuel and firing.

Heres the picture of the intake.

IMG_2632.JPG

Also got this in the mail today. Obviously wont be going on the car, Im just collecting parts..

IMG_2636.JPG

It is kind of cool to feel it work. Just blow in one end with the screw tighter, screw out a bit and psst! :) I was wanting to make my own but I could NOT find any of the things at home depot or lowes. I was really suprised. I doubt I would have saved much but it was worth the try..

ZXpicture.jpg

Did a couple things today.. I had shaved the one port on the j pipe assuming I wouldnt need it... decided to just scrap the BOV for good and just use the stock bypass valve. So I needed a new port. Welded on the orignal 90 degree elbow that goes on top of the TB. Looks great and makes the tube from it to the bypass valve in runner 4 basically strait. Just need to get a new bypass valve since I "modified" the valve into basically a plug for the hole.. :)

It still isnt running perfect but it still runs. Its shifting weird since I pulled off one of the vacume lines going to the trans. Need to find a new bung so I can plug it back in.

Little update, started to drive it to school this morning. Didnt get far and it just completely died, I gave it a little gas nothing happened. I just slowly came to a stop. Jumped out to check things and hopped back in turned the key and it started... ended up driving it about 10 miles or so and didnt have to much trouble, doesnt want to idle so Id have to keep the RPMs up as I came to a stop. As for the first incident I blame the ignition system for some reason, just a hunch. But whatever it is, Im pretty sure its electronics, a very broad area.

Also I was wanting to get a boost and fuel pressure gauge to know if Im getting enough fuel pressure and I wasnt really liking the stock gauge, Id like to be able to see it in PSI rather than mm.HG X 100 or whatever it is. Ended up getting an equus boost gauge and autometer fuel pressure gauge. Both are 2 inch, boost goes from 30 in.hg to 20 psi and the fuel gauge goes to 100, so Ill be fine for quite a while unless I go to diesel or direct injection.

Next thing on the list is to get those mounted, get a new bypass valve (just need to screw in the new one and put the hose on) and then get a new fitting for the transmission vacume signal. Its kind of annoying cruising along at 3500 doing 30.... :) Id like to do these things now but I have a calc and physics test in a couple days... :(

I didnt drive it to school. I switched cars just in case. But yeah Im out at SFCC. I drove down to the general store and got the gauges after school in the ZX.

Tried to call you but it says the number isnt available due to phone company issues...

Also, had to go move my car to let my dad out and went to check the TB stop screw since the car wasnt idleing unless you gave it a little gas. I hadnt put on a locking nut to keep the screw in place thinking it would be ok turns out it was probably moving which would over time close my TB completely, making the car not idle. Hopefully that was part of my problem. Im gonna replace the screw and make sure it doesnt work itself loose.

Sounds like you've got one of the Infamous Datsun Magic Wires. Bastards. It'll go away if you can find the right spot to wiggle a bunch of wires. Grrr..... ZXs seem a *tad* more prone to having magic wires than S30s, but thats just because they tend to have more wires.. a no-options 280ZX probly has no more likelihood than a similarly equipped S30. Good luck with that; they are hard to find because no testing will turn them up unless you are in failure mode, and that only happens once in a while. Usually, its when you are on your way to school, or something similar, so no opportunity to get the meter out and do a full harness check as per the EFI bible.... :rolleyesg

Well I wont be driving the car for awhile. Not sure how long...

Last thursday, I was bored at school after being there all day. It was about 10pm and a few of us went outside into the parking lot to have some fun. I was the only rear wheel drive car so I did the best doughnuts for about 10 min (yeah way to long). I pull over to let the car cool down and a foreign exchange student gets out there to do some reverse doughnuts. About 5 seconds after he starts the security comes over and flips on their lights. I slowly hopped in my car just as the kid points to me saying I was showing him how to do it. Go to start my car and it dies cause theres no idle screw, security starts walking over to me yelling get out and like a normal 18 year old I started it again and stepped on the gas... Anyways, the kid gave them my number, first name, and that I was in physics with him... so they knew exactly who it was. They called me the next day on my home phone even though they were given my cell, I went in and obviously they were very pissed off. The one guy who turns out was an actual cop doing side jobs was wanting to charge me with reckless driving, endangermeant (people had come outside and were watching from the grass), and then destruction of property (skid marks). It ended up the dean wasnt to worried about it being that I was very apologetic but the other guy warned me that he lives in the same area as me so I better not screw around... So they let me off with a warning. I had told my parents friday about it assuming I was screwed so they took the keys and I have no idea how long till Ill get to drive it again. :( Although it wasnt the time or place, or the proper reaction for what I did, it was ALOT of fun. :)

Anyways, I am not banned from working on the car so I was able to mount the gauges this afternoon. I got the gauge pod thing from shucks for $7 which was a great deal being that I was going to do it out of metal myself. Saved alot of time and is alot nicer. I did fix the fact that they both arent level. Looks better now. Also any reccomendations on how to not get one of these stolen? I imagine no one will want to cut a fuel line pressurized to about 30 psi but I can see some one ripping the boost gauge off (its easy to remove).

IMG_2642.JPG

Better view from the drivers position.

IMG_2641.JPG

My dad wanted me to move it off the road so I got to start it for a minute. The fuel pressure is at about 30 at idle. That about right? Ill have to wait and see if the boost gauge works fine (make sure no leaks) and see how high fuel pressure goes at boost.

• 4 weeks later...

So havent done much on the ZX, been gone and when I got back I worked on my 78.

Anyways Ive always had the idea in the back of my head to make a "rally" car. Me and my friend were talking about it and came up with a list... 4 lights at the front on the hood, narly mud flaps, some type of big spoiler, a large antenna, side exhaust and a few other things I cant remember...

Anyways it will be kind of cool, the lights will really be the only thing that costs something. Im gonna look for some cheap headlights to wire in.

• 4 weeks later...
Car was raped of its engine friday and is being sold this week. Woldson is hopefully picking it up in the next few days, glad to see it go to a good home. :)

You RAPIST you! I was waiting on the rally car pics. Oh well!