HybridZ

Tilted radiator/cooling question

jhaag

You might wanna take a look at the V8Z air cleaners post if you haven't already. Seems like a lot of work for an air cleaner...

I have a 3-inch pipe going thru the hole next to the radiator, don't know if your car has this or not. The pipe puts the K&N in front of the radiator but not smack in the middle of it.

Mikelly said this was hole for air to the ****pit or something, but I'll sacrifice myself to get cool air to the engine instead.

A lot of the tuned turbo Zs use this hole for intercooler piping so it shouldn't be too bad.

Owen

yes, a lot of thought is going into the air cleaner issue, and those two holes in the front look like perfect points to run some piping to dual k n n filters!!!! yay. i am going to set it up something like that, but im carbed, im going to run an xstream lid and a k and n round filter inside the airbox with large tubes bent to come out those two holes, hey mr. haag, do you have a website, im very interested in tpi swapping!!!!

Howdy John icon_smile.gif

I agree that's a lot of work for the gains...why not modify your hood? It's only a simple crossbeam underneath which can easily be accounted for by some bracing in those two lower corners to pickup any lost ridgity IF you don't build this into your 'tunnel' or duct that runs over the rad (ie. if it's not built into your hood/but a hose/duct separate from hood running from intake to front of rad). I've discussed this with a master sheetmetal worker and it was quite trivial for him (he's done body panels from scratch so skilled but felt this was quite routine).

I would not put my rad any further fwd that needed just to aid protecting it...I had a major incident last year and it was only twisted slightly with my mounts whereas front frame was twisted moreso icon_sad.gif Rad fix turned out to be <$30 icon_smile.gif If you do go to the effort to slant it I'm sure you can use an inline filler hose as you mention/ I'd integrate some additional bracing while modifying up front if you cut into it.

check out a C5 front duct piece/it may almost be a bolt on (idea wise/parts likely costly) but offer good idea's (C5 sites have pics)

hmm, anyone thought of cutting open the outer vertical face on an OE ZX airbox (to look like a normal carbed chevy airbox) and building in the intake nozzle to the top lid? The turbo filter is a good size and it would sit right in front of the rad/nozzle to lid coming back over rad straight to intake....Hmmmm, chromed front housing....or any other oblong housing for larger filtration with a water deflector plate underneath....huh/any comments on that? a new ideer for me...

Ross; the reason I put an inline filler was because I (any system) needed a point at which all the air can be prurged out (the highest point in the system). I thought I could get away without it, but the engine did overheat without it. I have read that steam pockets develop when all the air is not purged correctly, and have seen reference to this in various shop manuels for various cars. icon_smile.gif

On my 280ZX (w/ an '89 350 TPI engine), I'm thinking about tilting the top of the radiator slightly to the front (I'll have to modify or replace the mounts). The reason is that I would like to run my air intake over the top of the radiator so the K&N air cleaner is in front of the radiator. With the stock radiator in the stock location, there isn't enough room between the top of the radiator and the hood to do this. I don't want to cut the hood to give me more room. I'm probably going to replace the stock radiator with a 19x26 Griffin. My question is about how the system will work with the radiator fill cap being lower than the thermostat location. The Featured Cars section of the web site isn't up at this time but I seem to recall that Terry/Blue Oval used an inline fill neck in the upper hose which would put the filler at the top part of the system. Would there be any problem with locating the filler neck close to the thermostat? Could an inline filler neck be avoided and just use the standard radiator fill cap location? Also, what effect would slightly tilting the radiator forward have on the overflow bottle which is currently in the stock location? This is one of those projects that hinges on making a bunch of other changes so I'd appreciate any heads up about problems that might occur.

quote:

Originally posted by blueovalz:

Ross; the reason I put an inline

I must have mistyped above Terry/I understood your use for it and was just pointing out it would work fine for John as well if he did follow thru with his tilting plan as his top rad cap would most likely be lower than his engine/upper rad hose outlet.

I've always fully agreed on purging all air in the coolant system... I was looking to fearlessly use a chevy 400 block (what a bad rap some uninformed give that block!) till this roller 350 came along at the right price icon_smile.gif

PS I enjoy my 9.4:1 on 87 octane and less with no pingpingping icon_wink.gif