HybridZ

Math Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I want to use an impack gun to remove the axle nuts, etc in a junk yard. If I use a 20 cu ft nitrogen bottle charged to 1700 lbs, how long can I use the impack gun if it uses 4.5 cu ft/min at 100 lbs.? Also a 20 cu ft nitrogen bottle is not 20 cu ft. Is that the volume of gas that the bottle holds if the nitrogen was at sea level (14.7 psi)?

I think we need to know the volumn of the bottle at one atmosphere, and then use this, knowing the pressure, to determine the amount of air in the bottle. OR, find out what pressure the "20 cu ft" is designated for. 20ft3 At 100psi is a lot less than 20ft3 at 1700psi. I assume this is like a small welding bottle? Any dimensions?

Terry

Guest pauli

i would assume it's 20 cubic feet of gas at 1atm compressed from 14.7psi to 1700psi. if my math is right, that makes for a bottle with a capacity of .17 or so cubic feet.

which is entirely irrelevant smile.gif

do you have a pressure regulator? set it up to only output at 100psi. if my new math is right ((20/4.5)*(1700/100)) you should have about 75min of continuous use. i think.

FWIW, force required to remove those has varied from 300-700ft-lbs. Mine came easy with a '380' ftlb CH heavy duty gun. A friends 500ftlb gun couldn't touch his and only a 700ftlb one at work would remove his. One I did in a yard only took my 180lb frame on the end of 4ft of sleeved prybars, deflection of pry bar system was 5-6"+!

Just FYI

If we are comparing guns here I cast my vote towards the best gun I ever owned the IR 2131 I use this plastic ulta-light gun every day (I'm also a tech and do a lot of suspension work) It blows my shops lead techs gun away and he paid much more for it. It's even got some major nuts off that used to require my 3/4" gun.

------------------

rx7260z@yahoo.com

Speed Power Performance& Style. What else is there?

Guest Anonymous

Everyone, I have to agree that the IR 2131 is my impact of choice. Mine has out powered all others 1/2 guns, its nice & light, & the air comes out on the bottom of the handle so you don't get a face full of dust.

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Just reading the archives & found this one.

FWIW: I worked in a shop that rebuild hydraulic tools; regarding the guns-the IR line up requried rebuilding far fewer times than a conventional gun....actually if you want a ratio; I'ld probably build about 50.1:1 the IR being the "1".

IR has a hammer inside a cage-as the hammer swings & hits/the cage swings around from momentum & hits the hammer giving it more torque.

Whenever I did have to rebuild an IR it wasnt because the hammer/cage unit was worn out but because the tech never oiled his gun & the air motor veins were burnt up. Once we put new veins in & reassemble-it was as good as new! IR-the old style IR is by far the best design (I say old style as IR now builds a conventional style gun to compete w/the inferior guns).

So everytime you use your gun-be sure & drop a few drops of oil in it before you use it & drop a few drops of oil in it after you use it; then run it for a quick second to circulate the oil before putting it to rest.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)