HybridZ

Interesting Info About Oil Filters...

Mikelly

http://members.nbci.com/_XOOM/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

This site has research about how efficiant (Or inefficiant) many different brands of filter are... Seems Fram is a poor poor filter...

Very good stuff...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Wow, Mike, that's a real worry. It's the OEM info that worries me the most as you would expect there to be a higher consistency of performance. I checked out the Mopar link for a Chrysler 383 engine that I have and am now not sure what to put in it!

I personally SWEAR by Canton Mecca filter eliments and their billet reusabel shells. That is the only filter I will put on my Z's motor... The Mobile Filter and the AC DELCO filter fared well, as did the Purolator advance design filter... I have a fram filter in the bag for my truck oil change, and it is going back tonight!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Heh, LOL, I remember those, my uncle had one on his Landcruiser (the old cool ones), he had a 283 Chev. in that and it was a awesome off-roader. Funny, hadn't thought of those in years.. smile.gif

Lone

Funny this topic came up... found something of interest last night while changing the oil on the truck...My oil fitler relocator loosened up on me and oil had started "Mysting" out around the housing... Not good. So I had to drop the whole assembly, clean it up and put it all back together. I noticed that those oil filter relocators trap an amount of dirty oil in the lines between the filter and the block..That doesn't make me happy... Anyone had to deal with this before? BTW, I cut the FRAM filter I took off appart and low and behold, this guys research was SPOT ON. Cardboard end caps, evidence of leaking between the bypass valve and the main chamber, pretty much everything the guy claimed he found I saw in my own filter...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Frank280z

Unbelievable.....I always used Fram. Funny that Puralator has a better design. And they are both made by Allied Signal. Oh well. Mike, What is the part number for the canton mecca??

Frank

Guest JAMIE T

I think I have seen that site before. I use a Pure One on my performance stuff and AC Delco on my stock 94 Z28, Its strange but those filters feel like quality, ya know what I mean, heavier, more solid. Some filters I have used have felt like tin cans.

Hey Mike, maybe try a cheap vacuum pump, like used for bleeding brakes.

Jamie

That's a very informative site; pretty cool.

I wasnt privy to all the Oil Filter Lingo; however, there used to be a Green Light Auto parts store in town (till Auto Zone & O'Rielly put them out of business) that had 4 oil filters displayed on the counter.

Each one of these filters: AC Delco, Fram, FOMOCO & Wix had all been cut at the base, so you could remove the metal housing & inspect each one from the inside.

Needless to say the WIX had the best looking internals compared to the others. I would buy a WIX filter for my International P/U & Olds Cutlass while I always bought a Fram for my Toyota Corolla beater.

I must admit-I've aslo been buying Fram filters for my Z w/its stock L-engine-guess that might change from here on out.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Isn't there some sort of bypass valve in the oil filter adapter that screws to the block? I know when its cold its supposed to let oil bypass the filter (hey, bad design, but there are aftermarket adapters to fix this), perhaps thats not functioning right? Just a wild guess.

Regards,

Lone

I have an aftermarket remote oil filter kit, how can i tell if its the kind that doesnt use the oil bypass? I saw another kind in summit catalog that specifically said it bypasses the bypass.

Owen

PS can i use heater/coolant hose as an oil hose? I need another section for the remote filter.

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Fast Frog

OK guys, I've got 2 questions. First, what's the secret to getting onto the site Mikelly posted?? I've tried several times and I get nothing. I'm using Netscape: is this one of those sites that responds only to MSExplorer? Second, I've been using Fram filters the last couple of times that I've changed filters. When I start the car up, it "burbs" about an ounce or two of oil down the back side of the filter and drips a little. But as the car warms up, the dripping ceases. When I turn it off and restart it, there is no sign of dripping oil. It seems this "burping" problem only happens when the car has completely cooled off then started again.

Any ideas as to the problem??

HOLLY COW.... I just pulled my filter and filter relocator after watching the oil presure surge on my morning commute yesterday...Oil gauge was pulsating.. I swapped in a PURE1 Purolator and took the truck for a drive and I gained 15 pounds of oil presure... Tha filter relocator or the lines must have been causing some problems... Something was screwy...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Owen,

How does the remote adapter attache to the block? Did it just screw on? If so, the bypass is on that block/filter adapter and may still be functioning. I've seen at the local speed shop some billet adapters that replace the stock chevy unit and will prevent it from bypassing oil unfiltered.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Fast Frog

OK, guys! I fixed my problem! That Fram oil filter was 1/8" shorter in dia than the better one that I bought!!! Also the nipple was slightly off center so when the Fram was attached, it had a slight gap on the back side that allowed oil to "burp" out and drip down the back side of the filter! Boy do I appreciate your research and attention to details!!!

Rick

Guest Anonymous

Cool, glad you found the problem. I'll never forget the time I brought the wrong filter home when I was a kid and had this vega. Screwed it on, filled up the pan with new oil, did'nt see any leaks before I started the car, backed out of moms driveway looking in my rearview mirror and when I looked forward I had a 12" oil racing stripe all the way down her driveway. Needless to say she was less than amused.. smile.gif

Lone