HybridZ

Transmission Tunnel -RB25 ?

900ss

Has anyone got pictures of their install that show how much room is available in the transmission tunnel

(either side of the box) after fitting an RB25DET manual gearbox?

I've just finished fitting mine to a 1978 260z and its looking mighty tight?

Especially to use a speedo drive

I should add I've cut the "ears" off flush, but left their base plate still attached.

Edited by 900ss
added year

1970 240Z w/Mckinny mounts, RB26DETT engine and RB25DET Trany.

Overall... plenty of room.

4-5-09015.jpg

Like you said, need to make some room for the speedo pickup.

4-26-09030.jpg

4-26-09032.jpg

I am working the floor pans and frame rails at this moment, I will get around to that later.

Many thanks

Looks about the same for room as mine?

Am using a Mckinney mount kit

Not having a cable type speedo drive to try I'm wondering how easy the cable will fit?

Anyone got pics of the cable and drive fitted in the tunnel?

I have mine fitted but I dont have any pics. I had a hard time getting it in but with some wiggling around I got it in. Last time I was under the car though I noticed it had cracked the speed sensor (mechanical) at the base but my gauge still functions so Im not going to worry about it yet. I had a trans mount bolt strip at the time though so it could have been the reason why it ended up cracking but it is a pretty tight fit regardless. Im not using mckinney but it looks like the pics above

Im using the McKinney mounts and it was tight. All i did was pry off one of the seats for the original transmission mount on the 280z and it gave me plenty of room to fiddle with the speedo gear. EDIT* These do not exist on the 240z, the mounts are different on the 280z.

Im using the McKinney mounts and it was tight. All i did was pry off one of the seats for the original transmission mount on the 280z and it gave me plenty of room to fiddle with the speedo gear. EDIT* These do not exist on the 240z, the mounts are different on the 280z.

Mine is a UK spec 260z which had ears (same model as your later 280z I believe)

Few pics to show how much room I have left

After speeking to someone about what speedo head to use I'm now thinking of retaining the elec speedo drive and running an elec speedo head to suit.

Looking at the amount the drive sticks out there will be even less room

I think when I drop the box out again I'll take off what was left of the o/s mount plate from where the ears were cut from

th_ee1da615.jpg th_7d5d2c88.jpg

th_f9f76582.jpg th_7a50dcf5.jpg

US spec 260z an 280z both have the ear style transmission mounts. I think the 73 240z might as well. I cannot remember for sure to verify. I used the Rick Wong mounts and I had to not only cut the ears off, but also cut the humps for the ears out on both sides for proper fitment and alignment. I would not have been able to fit the reverse switch or the speedo cable drive in my 260z.

Edited by rayaapp2
I cant spell sometimes

US spec 260z an 280z both have the ear style transmission mounts. .... I had to not only cut the ears off, but also cut the humps for the ears out on both sides for proper fitment and alignment. I would not have been able to fit the reverse switch or the speedo cable drive in my 260z.

Tbh that looks to be the answer

I’ve dropped the box out again now so a few cm out of the tunnels brace should see things clear ok

inc the box switch that also hit’s the tunnel strengthen brace lol

Many thanks