HybridZ

Damn... I might be moving back to CA

SoCalJack

This sounds like a good thing... Right? Well I have an 81 280ZX under going a V8 swap. Definitely not smog legal in good ol' CA. I paid $1000 for the car, it ran when I bought it. And Ive put another $1000 just in welding and fabrication of new floor boards and frame rails and other misc goodies. Its just a rolling chassis, no motor, no trans.

If we do end up moving back, I will have to keep it titled and registered in TN so I wont have to smog it. But my Dad being an officer of the law, will put the ixnay on that really quick fast and in a hurry.

I really don't want to sell it. Ive been working on it none stop for a few months. And I will be taking a huge loss on time, money, effort.... :icon50: poop

Any suggestions?

Ideas?

Sympathy?

I guess I better start looking for a 240Z...:-)

Yeah I thought about just making my ZX legal. I have a 350 small block, nothing crazy, stocker with a mild cam. I started reading up on how to smog legal a car, and it was a ridiculous amount of stuff to put on one. I figure I can start over or build a smog legal one for about the same amount of cash. But I would rather not have to mess with the headache of the complicated smog stuff.

Thanks for the idea though!

What have you been reading? As long as your V8 comes from a light duty vehicle (not a truck) and is of 1981 vintage or newer, all you have to do is make sure all applicable smog devices present on the original engine are there in the ZX.

Most of the stuff is already in the ZX, you just have to pick it up.

For that matter, the IDEAL swap for this situation would be to simply go find a wrecked LT1 out of an early 90's Camaro, and put that EFI and everything into the ZX and go run it through the Smog/BAR Referee. The EFI is supersimple to understand, the GM technical manuals are great, and with TunerCat, you can log into the ECU through the OBD2 port and change just about any configuration within the GM program you want so you don't throw codes for things you didn't install in the car...

Were I to do a V8 Swap, I would take a 79ZX and get that engine. The whole car can be had for under $2000, and the emissions hookups are Datsun Friendly.

I helped my bud in Jersey with long-distance technical support as he put a 94 LT into his 74 Camaro. Learnt me a lot about the GM setup, and for the conversion hassles, I'd not mess with a carbbed engine for smog compliance in SoCal. Especially on a ZX.

Good Luck!