HybridZ

Casting question

AK-Z

I've been in need of a KA24DE lower intake manifold, but haven't been able to find one up here.

I've been tinkering with the notion of casting a new one. I've casted before, but not with something so large.

Would there be any benefit in casting in bronze, as opposed to aluminum?

I wouldn't think that there wouldn't be much of a heat issue, since I have the upper portion, which is aluminum.

Reason why I ask about bronze is that I can easily melt some down with my oxy/acc torch, instead of going to a foundry for aluminum.

I've been in need of a KA24DE lower intake manifold, but haven't been able to find one up here.

I've been tinkering with the notion of casting a new one. I've casted before, but not with something so large.

Would there be any benefit in casting in bronze, as opposed to aluminum?

I wouldn't think that there wouldn't be much of a heat issue, since I have the upper portion, which is aluminum.

Reason why I ask about bronze is that I can easily melt some down with my oxy/acc torch, instead of going to a foundry for aluminum.

I don't have time to get into the ins and outs of it but no, using bronze is a bad idea.

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone else. Find a small foundry (does not need to be near you) that will work on short run projects. Learn how to make the patterns (which you have to do anyway) and leave the pouring to the foundry.

If you read the three threads I have on casting my EFI manifold you will have a pretty good idea how to get it done. The info is all there.

Derek

You guys realize that I'm in Alaska, right? Because of gas and shipping, the price of metal (especially steel) is about 3x what it normally would be, and this is comparing prices last November, till now.

the reason why I asked about bronze, is because, there is a less likely chance of casting with slag inclusion (not really slag, but impurities), meaning less likely to FUBAR the mold that I intend to use once.