HybridZ

L24 Turbo????

Guest StinkyStinks

Guest StinkyStinks

I think the L24 is the stock 240 motor... I was wondering if you can turbo it, cause i was thinking you can put a 4barrel carb on it and ive seen some muscle cars with a turbo set up on it that goes in through a 4barrel. Do you guys think its possible, will the the L24 handle the boost... let me know what ya think..

The later 240 motors with 9mm rod bolts can handle even more rpm's than an l-28. They can handle just as much torque. Their compression ratios are too high to run lots of boost though, and they also lack fuel injector ports.(an easily fixed problem) If you don't want to run a lot of boost they are fine, if you want lots of boost you need an intercooler and a reduced compression ratio. It's easier to just get an l-28 turbo motor and put it in the car.

Well, if you want to keep the L24, but have to rebuild it, then I don't see any reason that you couldn't turbo it. Though I wouldn't do it with a down draft setup, since EFI would probably be easier to life with in the long run (especially since with a turbo right below it, you are going to start having to deal with boiling the fuel with a carb).

This is a great topic to do a search on, or to run thru the history in the Turbo/Supercharger forum.

My current 4barrel:

DSCN2672.jpg?t=1243731714

Old school Turbo Tom kit:

turbotomscar2.jpg?t=1243731217

The problem is not boiling the fuel in the carb since the major heat is at the other end of the turbo. Freezing it can be the issue on cold days.

EFI would be easier given today's technology.