HybridZ

Iridium Spark Plugs

Arbo

I recently swapped my standard NGKs w/ NGK Iridium IX and noticed a considerable difference in performance w/ smoother idle & acceleration.

Can you clarify the condition of the standard NGK plugs?

Were the standard ones new as well, or had they been in the engine for the last 10000 miles?

Were the standard ones gapped the same, was it the same heat rating etc?

Can you clarify the condition of the standard NGK plugs?

Were the standard ones new as well, or had they been in the engine for the last 10000 miles?

Were the standard ones gapped the same, was it the same heat rating etc?

Good points there. Another question could possibly be 'How healthy is the rest of the ignition system?' and perhaps 'What ignition system are you running?'

Can you test 'smoother acceleration' on a dyno?

What about fuel consumption? Any differences?

Any more variables? :hs:

bosch platinum +4s suck in our cars. I had them on my 83 280ZX NA and it fouled regularly. ran just fine once I went back to NGK Rs.

I couldn't find Bosch 4s for the Z; they're the best plug I've used in my wife's Corolla and my Nissan Hardbody. Both the Corolla and truck had a slight miss w/ copper and Bosch 2s, the Bosch 4s smoothed it out.

I guess it's a matter of preference but I do notice a difference in types of plugs; by far, iridium are best and preferred in my book. I've never 'measured' the performance difference; I don't have to or really desire to as it's that noticeable to me. :arrow: Just my two cents, that's all.

well i just want it to be reliable

Iridium and platinum plugs are useless unless you are running a direct ignition system on a fuel injected motor. You will get more reliability out of set of copper NGK's at a much cheaper price. If you want a little more "spark" try running the NGK's without the "R" and a high output ignition system.

I know we all know this but just to clear up any doubt...... the "best" plugs are mostly based on opinion. unless we see some clear facts, IMHO its all by the seat of your pants/ or if it actually fouls and you know there is a problem.

Now we might see a jump in MPG or have the best get up and go ever, but its all very dependant on the rest of the car.........

And now i can get off my soap box.