HybridZ

Electrical Issues

My 82 ZX has developed a couple electrical issues. First one is I get a small arc when I attach the battery cable to the battery, I pulled the fuses one at a time and tried the cable each time and narrowed it down to the dome lights. So my question is is there any place in the dome lamp system that is prone to shorting or chaffing that I should start?

Second issue, my radio and clock only work part of the time, one time you start the car and everything is fine, next time nothing. Any ideas there?

3rd, my voltmeter needle stopped working, where is it tied into the system? The light still works in the guage just not the needle.

Anyone have a link to a 280ZX wiring diagram?

Thanks

Justin

hey man go here: http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

and download the factory service manual for your year.

those are amazing refrences for any issues with your car.

Im not sure where those things tie in at wiring points, but it sounds like old connections may be corroded etc.

one thing ive learned from these cars over the years is that its rarely the device thats bad, its a connection, relay, etc.. but sometimes otherwise... but you can track it all down with the Service Manual

Excellent link Bmarchuk, you are right about the connection thing, I checked the voltmeter by taking it out of the dash and when its connected to the battery direct it works fine. However, I can't get the digital clock to work like that though :( I am curious if the accessory relay drives both the clock and the radio and for some reason it isn't making.

HowlerMonkey, this car does have the dimmer, I will take it out of the circuit and see if I still have the draw, I am still leaning toward the wire from the right door switch to the dimmer though. The power antenna doesn't work either, its the only thing that hasn't worked at least once since I got the car.

I think the car either uses a time control system for the lights and power antenna or the power antenna itself has a timer that allows it to retract after the car is off.

I seem to remember seeing power antenna drawing current while at Z shop of miami.

Try unplugging it since it is relatively easy to access the connectors.

Thanks for the hints guys. This evening I will unplug the antenna and see if that takes care of the draw on the dome light circuit.

I had the glove box out and turned the key to accessory and back to off while touching the accessory relay, it clicks but I didn't check to see if it was actually making contact on the switch side, I will swap them around and see if that helps.

Justin

My route so far has been Replace old 30 year old wiring.. LOL couple reasons. one its 30 two Electromagnetic fields actually move the wires through repelling actions when theres power on and off causing the Copper to be "WORKED" ie bent back and forth slightly until its breaks or frays. Best bet. Resistance test hot and cold so with light on for a bit then off.. At higher heat the wires should read a bit more resistance, cold whatever it reads. but if frayed you might be able to get reisstance jumps like Infinate or higher as the wire seperates and reconnects due to heating up and cooling down.. Again best bet REWIRE. might be a slight inconvenience but hell it will last another 30 years

I learned something last night, turns out that the clock (its digital and a non turbo btw) and radio both run through the dome lamp fuse. I had the fuse out to keep from draining the battery (won't have enough to start after a couple days) and had no clock or radio with the ignition on, plug in the dome light fuse and walla, clock and radio.

So as far as my checking has gone, last night I pulled the dome light timer (totally unplugged) and checked for draw at the battery, still there. Next I unplugged the power antenna connector, draw still there. I still don't know why the right door switch doesn't turn on the dome lamp either, I will have to check the wires from the switch to wherever they go.

Ok my radio is the electronic tuner type, it is fairly intermittent. I get power to it but it won't always turn on or respond to any of the buttons, any ideas there? I hate to do it but I may end up replacing it with a modern one.

As far as the wiring all being bad. In my opinion the wiring in this car is nearly pristine except for one spot under the hood that the mice got their dirty little mouths on. The rest is nice and pliable and I haven't found a corroded connection yet (but then again I have only inspected maybe a 10th of the wiring in this car so far).

Keep the ideas coming, I love this forum!

Justin

Ok my radio is the electronic tuner type, it is fairly intermittent. I get power to it but it won't always turn on or respond to any of the buttons, any ideas there? I hate to do it but I may end up replacing it with a modern one.

Pull it and sell it to some purist, and put in something that is more worthy of the car!!

Or for fun, smash it with a sleg!!