HybridZ

Down on power

Easy fix on this one boys. Clogged fuel filter. Don't overlook the simple stuff :)

Joe

Will post pics of how clogged the filter was! Amazing the rear filter was clean when I took it apart. Front looked like it was used to strain dirt from a mudslide :hs:

Will post pics of how clogged the filter was! Amazing the rear filter was clean when I took it apart. Front looked like it was used to strain dirt from a mudslide :hs:

Crazy stuff. How was it that it made it past the first filter but all got caught in the second?? What were the micron ratings on the filters?

I'm assuming the previous owner had changed the first filter without touching the second. He had indicated when the car was purchased that the tank had crap in the bottom and had burned up the fuel pump. I changed the pump and fired up the car. Shame on me for not changing the filters. At the track, the first filter was checked and found to be clean so the second filter was not looked at :icon8: Funny thing the second filter looks to have been added as an afterthought as the line coming up to it is long enough to reach the fitting directly after the filter. Simply bypassing the filter at the track would have saved the second day. Oh well, more parts to add to the "better take an extra to the track" pile.

Joe

Well I still wouldn't have bypassed the second filter because I didn't want to foul up the injectors! Also I believe the first filter in line is to big (HIGH microns) and the second one being so small (LOW micron) that caused this screw up. The first filter caught nothing and the second one in the engine bay did ALL the work. Maybe the car now will run a tad rich, so I am guessing we should hook the laptop to it just to be sure. Like Joe said, don't skip the small things and don't assume like I did.

Well I still wouldn't have bypassed the second filter because I didn't want to foul up the injectors! Also I believe the first filter in line is to big (low microns) and the second one being so small (high micron) that caused this screw up. The first filter caught nothing and the second one in the engine bay did ALL the work. Maybe the car now will run a tad rich, so I am guessing we should hook the laptop to it just to be sure. Like Joe said, don't skip the small things and don't assume like I did.

That's not what you usually want with an inline pump. You want a high micron filter between the tank and pump, especially if the pump is a pusher, so that it will not hinder flow too much and then a low micron filter after the pump to protect the injectors. The lower the micron the smaller the particle it can filter. The lower micron (first in this case) should catch everything making the second pointless if you get what I mean which doesnt make sense in this case. :hs:

That's not what you usually want with an inline pump. You want a high micron filter between the tank and pump, especially if the pump is a pusher, so that it will not hinder flow too much and then a low micron filter after the pump to protect the injectors. The lower the micron the smaller the particle it can filter. The lower micron (first in this case) should catch everything making the second pointless if you get what I mean which doesnt make sense in this case. :hs:

Yes, I understand what you mean and that is how the set up shoule be. This may explain the "flutter" sound I heard when I started the car a few days ago. The pump was have a hard time pushing the fuel past the second (smaller) filter. Glad it was a quick and easy fix and next time check everything.

Clive,

I think you have it backwards, the setup is correct. The fine particles are trapped at the second filter in the engine compartment which is after the pump. The one down by the tank is before the pump and is only used to trap larger particles. Checking the primary filter finding nothing then the secondary filter and finding mud makes complete sense and can only mean one thing. Someone dumped Nestle's Quick in the tank!

Clive,

I think you have it backwards, the setup is correct. The fine particles are trapped at the second filter in the engine compartment which is after the pump. The one down by the tank is before the pump and is only used to trap larger particles. Checking the primary filter finding nothing then the secondary filter and finding mud makes complete sense and can only mean one thing. Someone dumped Nestle's Quick in the tank!

Joe you are right, I meant to say it a little different. The first pump in line, I think the micron number is to high (only catches huge particles). I believe it to be higher than 100 which I am running on my car. The second filter in line is ok, just was over worked (in a good way) since it looked like it was doing all the filtering.....that explains the Nestle Quick crap in the filter. Honestly, I think the first session of the first day....sloshed up all the crap that was sitting in the bottom of the tank and then clogged the filter.

No gas = no power:malebitch

Joe you are right, I meant to say it a little different. The first pump in line, I think the micron number is to high (only catches huge particles). I believe it to be higher than 100 which I am running on my car. The second filter in line is ok, just was over worked (in a good way) since it looked like it was doing all the filtering.....that explains the Nestle Quick crap in the filter. Honestly, I think the first session of the first day....sloshed up all the crap that was sitting in the bottom of the tank and then clogged the filter.

No gas = no power:malebitch

Pre-pump http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI-12304&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Post-pump http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI-12335&N=700+115&autoview=sku

No gas = no power = running lean = kaboom!