HybridZ

Quick n' Easy ZXT "Cold Air Intake"

In an effort to clean up my engine bay I found my stock air intake box off quite quickly. This is also a large obstruction for an intercooler if you choose that route. So I decided to replace my panty hose air filter with a real one. :) (was there just so stuff didnt get in the afm...)

IMG_26211.JPG

Heres the stock intake box. I used a chop saw to cut approximately 2.5 inches from the inside of the intake bend.

IMG_2622.JPG

Bought a 3 OD to 3 IN adaptor at autozone. Turns out it would have been better to use the smaller end to slip into the original bend being that most cone filters are made to accept a 3 inch OD tubing. I did it the opposite way but it still works fine, it just would have worked better the other way.

IMG_2623.JPG

If you notice the crimp was ground down to allow the pipe to fit in snug.

IMG_2625.JPG

Blends in fairly well with the bend.

IMG_2627.JPG

Weld it up. Forgive the bad welds, I just started welding again after 2-3 years of down time, and I think my regulator is on its last leg...

IMG_2628.JPG

Welds ground down and it installed without the filter.

IMG_2630.JPG

Another angle.

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Super high performance cone filter installed.

Overall it is pretty easy to do if you have a welder, chop saw, and an angle grinder. Dont have these? Go buy a CAI off ebay. :)

It would have been easier If I could have found a nice piece of 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust tubing but I wasnt able to.

Nice work. How long did it take you to make?

Just wondering, since the ebay ones you mentioned cost about $40 bucks total for a generic filter and come with the 90 degree aluminum pipe, silicone coupler, and aluminum mounting bar. I bought one a long time ago and it's still in the garage...:D

If it takes over an hour to make, i think i got a deal on the ebay one.

I only saw the non turbo intakes on ebay. I remember seeing the turbo ones awhile back but nothing now.

I suppose it wouldnt have cost much more to just get the ebay one. I think it took me a couple hours but you could do it much quicker if you were a good welder. You could definitely do it in under an hour. I thought it was fun to make and thats what matters to me. I like making my own stuff rather than buying it (when I can).

I'm not sure where that's placed in relation to the fan, but from my experiences when filters are placed (in these cases behind fans) in that position, they give idle and running problems when the fan kicks on. This was on Z31's however, so the MAF setup for the earlier cars might make a difference in that regard.

Nice work. How long did it take you to make?

Just wondering, since the ebay ones you mentioned cost about $40 bucks total for a generic filter and come with the 90 degree aluminum pipe, silicone coupler, and aluminum mounting bar. I bought one a long time ago and it's still in the garage...:D

If it takes over an hour to make, i think i got a deal on the ebay one.

That's what I did, purchased the 'ChromeIntakes' version (~$45.) off eBay and I'm quite pleased with it! FREE if you sell your old stock intake since they go for ~the same price.

It still does not address how you are going to run your IC piping. As the hole you are using for your CAI is perfect for the IC plumbing.

Yasin

Yeah, I wont be running an intercooler for a while. I wasnt really making this to work with an intercooler. I was just mentioning reasons to remove the stock airbox... When I run an intercooler Ill probably just scrap this since the filter is all I would still need Im not out of any money.

Any way to look at your setup. I was looking at some of your pictures and couldnt really see the intercooler piping route.

Also changed the title to "quick n' easy" rather than "cheap n' easy" since it really isnt that much cheaper. Buuutttt it was alot quicker then getting something off ebay and waiting for it to get here. I needed to drive my car (safely with a real filter) and this allowed me to.

I don't see much difference between Turbo and NA Cold Air Intakes. They look exactly the same to me.

Plus, I don't think that was Quick or Easy at all!!! Atleast it wouldn't be for me. Looks good though. Just needs some paint.

Mine was definately easier. I just bought some Autozone Spectre tubing and a K&N filter. Only tools I needed were a handsaw and a screw driver. It was a little cheaper than the ebay ones and a lot cheaper than the MSA one. Plus its shiney!! haha.

img00186.jpg