HybridZ

Dropping L28 into '72 240, and need some help

Hey, I'm 17 and a junior in high school. I just bought my first z last Saturday, and its a bit of a project. Its basically all original and in pretty good shape(except for the paint). When I got it the original L24 was sitting completely torn apart in the back of the car. I have a few L28s sitting around and was planning on dropping one of them into my new obsession. I just don't really know where to start. (Yes I'm aware there are tons of threads on this topic). I'm pretty new to this site, and so far I've found it pretty hard to search specifically for one thing. So if someone could give any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi MostinMofia, welcome to the site.

The first thing I would do would be remove the L24 from the interior of the car, obviously it doesn't belong there ;)

When you get all the parts out of the inside of the car you should take inventory of what all you have, also make note of the condition of each part. Next you should try to decide what engine you want back in the car especially if you have a "few laying around." You should also decide if you want to go with carburetion of FI and make sure you have all the parts needed for one or the other.

Take your time!! I guarantee the car will turn out better if you take your time and think through everything/ learn about what you are doing before you do it. Don't fall in the trap of doing something "just for now" so you can drive it.

Good luck!!

Justin

Oh yeah, if I don't say it someone else will, pics please, lots of pics...

img6807r.th.jpg

My new project(white z).

img6806d.th.jpg

My dad's z(orange)

img6809q.th.jpg

engine bay with 5 speed already in it

img6810d.th.jpg

The interior is pretty complete, and most of the electrical works, so I'm happy with that.

img6811x.th.jpg

img6816.th.jpg

img6817.th.jpg

There is some rust under the battery tray and on the passenger frame rail, but nothing too serious.

img6813.th.jpg

Everything that was in the back. The seller said the original motor was all there, NOT! He failed to mention the oil pan did not come with it(kind of important).

img6814x.th.jpg

The L28s I have. The one on the left was ran strong before my brothers master cylinder failed right before a corner and dropped it 8 feet into a black berry patch. I heard that you can use the 240 engine mount bushings, but I wanted to hear what you guys said first. I was planning on putting an intake manifold and carb on it(tight budget, or i would go fuel injected), but I was wondering what kind of options I have as far as that goes. I know MSA makes a complete kit with a four barrel holly(http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PFFC04) for that, but i was wondering what else is out there.

I was also wondering what it would take to put a 280zx radiator in it, any ideas?

I heard that you can use the 240 engine mount bushings

L6 motor mounts are all the same, the only variation is there is a left and right side motor mount. the L28 will drop right in, only thing you gotta work out is if you want carbs or EFI lol

I am MostinMofia's older brother but I can't account for how he spells "Mafia." I appreciate all the input. I am in the middle of an S130 project myself, just trying to help a brotha out. Will post on my project later.

We have the dual SU Carbs for the L24. The L28 we are going to use has an N47 head. Do the SU carbs bolt right up to that head without a problem? Or do we need to use the L24's head (I think it's a E88)?

I am MostinMofia's older brother but I can't account for how he spells "Mafia." I appreciate all the input. I am in the middle of an S130 project myself, just trying to help a brotha out. Will post on my project later.

We have the dual SU Carbs for the L24. The L28 we are going to use has an N47 head. Do the SU carbs bolt right up to that head without a problem? Or do we need to use the L24's head (I think it's a E88)?

If i remember it correctly (been a few since i've touch an L-series) all 70-83 heads interchange, so it should bolt up, just make sure to atleast clean out the SU's or rebuild them before putting them on, the problem i would foresee in doing a SU swap would be the distributor and the fuel pump.

I got the motor all prepped to drop it in today, all I had to do was bolt on the L24 intake manifold and the header, and the intake manifold bolt patterns aren't the same bolt patterns on the head.2ylr0ol.jpg

14v0ahd.jpg

wguk1t.jpg

2hhoyec.jpg

mx0oxy.jpg

I was told

If i remember it correctly (been a few since i've touch an L-series) all 70-83 heads interchange, so it should bolt up, .

so I'm back at square one. any suggestions?

So I bolted the motor up and connected everything. I took care of the fuel problem with a performance pump from holly. My next problem is the distributor. I bolted up the original from the 79 L28 and it has two plugs on the ignition module. I know the L28 distributor is pointless, whereas the stock distributor is mechanical(I have no idea if that's an issue). I have power to the distributor but its not getting to the plugs.

I read on the forums someone was swapping an L28 into a 260 and they were having similar problems. They bypassed the ballast resistor and they could get a spark in the "on" position, but not the start position(or something to that effect). I honestly have no idea! Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks.

So I bolted the motor up and connected everything. I took care of the fuel problem with a performance pump from holly. My next problem is the distributor. I bolted up the original from the 79 L28 and it has two plugs on the ignition module. I know the L28 distributor is pointless, whereas the stock distributor is mechanical(I have no idea if that's an issue). I have power to the distributor but its not getting to the plugs.

I read on the forums someone was swapping an L28 into a 260 and they were having similar problems. They bypassed the ballast resistor and they could get a spark in the "on" position, but not the start position(or something to that effect). I honestly have no idea! Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks.

I had the same problem. I set the timing of the distributor as described in the Haynes manual. All you need is a test light if I remember correctly.