HybridZ

Loving the Forum! Need help

quick50

Whats up everybody I just bought a 1990 300zx NA about a month ago. This is my first tuner car so im just learning a few things. I bought it completly stock and I have added a 2 1/2 in custom cat less exhaust that might i add sounds awesome not raspy nor ricer like it has a deep sports car sound. I also installed a cold air intake, wheels,tires and window tint. I have searched this forum and I like it alot so far im getting alot of info but I still cant quite put together what I need to in order to make my choice on a motor swap. I dont want to have to do alot of fabricating and extra work. I want a setup that is a decent price but has pretty good power as well. I was planning on twin turboing whatever motor I get. My question is what would be a good simple motor swap that will give me good power to the wheels. Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Administrators

Welcome to HybridZ.

Doing a VG30DETT will probably be the easist with the most bang for the buck. The VH45DE from the Q45 fits real nice, though the intake doesnt clear the hood, i.e. Hood scoop or custom intake. Rotary should fit nice as well. :wink: Pretty much any other swap is going to require hacking of the car structure.

FWIW, A "tuner car" is generally a car that was prepped/modded by a "tuner shop", such as a "Callaway Corvette", "Roush Mustang","Ruf Porsche", or "Norwood Ferrari" are examples of a tuner car. A stock import that a private owner modifies himself, not a shop, is not really a "tuner car", even when finished. :wink:

Edited by BRAAP

A "tuner car" is generally a car that was prepped/modded by a "tuner shop", such as a "Callaway Corvette", "Roush Mustang","Ruf Porsche", or "Norwood Ferrari" are examples of a tuner car. A stock import that a private owner modifies himself, not a shop, is not really a "tuner car", even when finished. :wink:

Thanks for giving me a little insight on that...see I told ya I was new to this.

We really need to know dollar amounts in order to give you some ideas that fit your time line/budget. Also what kind of power levels are you looking to achieve? This will play a big factor in which route you should take.

For instance if you wanted to do the TT swap you are looking at spending $3k + to get everything you need to complete the swap not including labor. I haven't priced half cuts in a long time but best I remember they were in the $2500-3500 range. I could be way off but this would get you way ahead of the game in having everything you need for the swap. If you are looking for 500+whp you will be on borrowed time with this swap on a stock bottom end. They are not cheap to build either (trust me).

Any other swap as Paul said would involve some hefty persuasion or some cutting and welding... I would love to see more V8 Z32s though. :)

Dan

We really need to know dollar amounts in order to give you some ideas that fit your time line/budget. Also what kind of power levels are you looking to achieve? This will play a big factor in which route you should take.

For instance if you wanted to do the TT swap you are looking at spending $3k + to get everything you need to complete the swap not including labor. I haven't priced half cuts in a long time but best I remember they were in the $2500-3500 range. I could be way off but this would get you way ahead of the game in having everything you need for the swap. If you are looking for 500+whp you will be on borrowed time with this swap on a stock bottom end. They are not cheap to build either (trust me).

Any other swap as Paul said would involve some hefty persuasion or some cutting and welding... I would love to see more V8 Z32s though. :)

Dan

Im trying to stay under the price range of 5k I have a personal mechanic who will help on the labor! I want 400-500 hp to the crank. Do you think that will be possible with my budget?

Depending on labor costs and the skill level of your mechanic (don't take that the wrong way) you could get a TT engine and ECU for a little cheaper. BE SURE TO CHECK THE TURBOS INDUCER/EXHAUST WHEELS. I have seen several that had no fins on them like someone dumped rocks in them while it was running. Be sure to do the t-belt, water pump, etc...

1. Get a front mount. (ebay, etc...) Have new end tanks fabbed up for dual in/out.

2. Fab up some custom intercooler piping.

3. Boost controller

4. Use the N/A flywheel/clutch (if its 5 speed).

5. You can use the N/A engine harness.

6. Rock and Roll!

If you are thrifty enough I think it could be done... but if you end up needing turbos then you might consider an upgrade at that point and that will exceed your budget.

For 400-500 crank hp you could easily get that with the TT but there could be cheaper routes but that would involve a little metal work and time.

Depending on labor costs and the skill level of your mechanic (don't take that the wrong way) you could get a TT engine and ECU for a little cheaper. BE SURE TO CHECK THE TURBOS INDUCER/EXHAUST WHEELS. I have seen several that had no fins on them like someone dumped rocks in them while it was running. Be sure to do the t-belt, water pump, etc...

1. Get a front mount. (ebay, etc...) Have new end tanks fabbed up for dual in/out.

2. Fab up some custom intercooler piping.

3. Boost controller

4. Use the N/A flywheel/clutch (if its 5 speed).

5. You can use the N/A engine harness.

6. Rock and Roll!

If you are thrifty enough I think it could be done... but if you end up needing turbos then you might consider an upgrade at that point and that will exceed your budget.

For 400-500 crank hp you could easily get that with the TT but there could be cheaper routes but that would involve a little metal work and time.

Sounds good I was thinking about just getting a stock twin turbo motor and upgrading the turbos to aftermarket turbos.

With that budget I think you're pretty much "stuck" with going the stock twin turbo motor with a few bolt on upgrades... you should be able approach your power goals though.

I hope so...I mean I can go higher with the budget but I know there are other things im going to need once I get the motor in. Where is the best place to get a stock twin turbo motor and what are the best twin turbos, intercoolers, bov etc...for my budget? Bare with me on this one because im really tryin to have something good I just need more knowledge there are so many options that can really confuse a newbie.

Likely your research for those upgrades won't be best done on hybridz, I would poke around some of the 300zx specific forums listed above for answers to those questions. We don't have a lot of 300zx people here, and even fewer that have held onto the VG30 in some form or another. That is not to say you aren't welcome here, you'll just find the 300zx knowledge is pretty small here in comparison to other cars, engines, etc.

With that said, I'd be looking for a junkyard motor, or a wrecked 300zxtt to take the motor out of, and there are a number of turbo upgrade kits out there for that motor from Stillen, HKS, etc.

I have some friends that use the N/A engine and put a single turbo set up with custom exhaust header manifolds. Eventually they buy some forged pistons and rods. Also a front mount intercooler, a Z32 turbo,Walbro or Bosch fuel pump, 550cc injectors,etc. That depends on how much you are willing to spend. You have different choices. Anyway, good luck with your project.