HybridZ

grr, a little help here plz?

Guest mtj71Z

Understood, but what if someone sends you their dash and you CF it and they don't like it? What if you don't have an adequate supply of dashes? At least the caps come in each of the different styles and fit pretty well (I was impressed with the quality of fit & finish on my MSA full dash cap). Seems like a better "business" move to produce CF over the caps and sell those. But, it's not my business...

Davy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Actually I was more thinking about side impact...if it were close to the post it seems like it would break in vertical sections exploding the fragments toward the seats, i'm thinking like the same properties as fiberglass tho-. Sounds like I'd feel much safer with a rollcage,huh? You know I have a 22 mo. old daughter who's never ridden in the car because I'm afraid of some idiot with their head UTA.

Is CF strong enougher than stock to be used as re-inforcement between the front window posts/dash area?

Also can a part made with CF be made thinner than fiberglass? WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

Hmm, sounds like this thread is going right back to the side impact issue of a couple of months ago. I believe the general concensus was that the rollcage diagonal beams, angling downward from the main hoop to the footwell would provide a bit of protection, but not much because of their added length--I had to go against the grain on that one because I think it will help a whole lot. I have an SW 8-point cage just waiting to go in. Lone you have a welder don't you? icon_biggrin.gif But I digress...getting back to the CF dash--I think CF will bend quite a bit before cracking, and will not splinter like fiberglass. In an answer to WW question about making it thinner than glass--I guess it all depends on the amount of strength you want from it. It's MUCH stronger than glass (what BLKMGK said) and I would think that one mat for a dash should be sufficient--it's not like it's translucent or anything.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Davy, no problem, I got a welder, let me know when we get to that part.. icon_smile.gif I need to get one in my car too (probably use a chris alston one just because they're local and no shipping). I'm sure it would provide a little bit of side impact, I'm concerned with stiffness and the possibility of needing to use the main loop anchoring and making subframe connectors to support a 4 link rear in the future (I should live so long... icon_smile.gif ).

I digress... we have definitely wandered from the subject. Heres a descr. of Carbon Fiber courtesy of Fibertek at http://www.fiber-tek.com/product_info.htm theres some decent info on molds and such there as well:

Carbon Fiber is a graphite fabric especially designed for use in laminates which have critical requirements for maximum stiffness, extremely high tensile (3 times that of steel) and comprehensive (5 times that of steel) strengths, with low weight. Its main function is local reinforcement to improve the strength to weight ratio of highly stressed parts. Carbon fiber is weak in shear strength and impact resistance and should be shielded from abrasion with fiberglass or other materials, such as Kevlar®. This material is categorized by weight per sq. yd. and is sold by the running yard.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Okay so it's out for real re-inforcement, but let me iterate that I'm not interested in making it, I'm a single father with a small business and have very little time for new avenues of discovery for a while. I'm just not as up to speed as you guys on this material and am really wanting to gain an understanding of what it's advantages and disadvantages are and where it really shines as an alternative to metal or fiberglass. Like uh..what is the definition of comprehensive strength?

I know that everyone is using it for everything, but where do you think its unique properties are used to the best advantage over other materials?

I'm kinda new to this board, can you point me to the thread on side impacts you refered to?

WW∞ null