HybridZ

need help getting 240z running!

I've posted a video to show my current situation. I need help to determine what is causing this problem please!!!

You may not be able to see the flame on the video (it's @ :59 sec) but some frames get compressed out so I've attached a pic for better reference.

Now here's the background.

I purchased a 73' 240z, the PO had the L24 recently rebuilt. The su's where not on the car when I got it, they were in a box.

I first pulled the engine and replaced the automatic trans with a manual 4spd. I reconfigured the wiring to bypass the auto trans relays etc.

I put a pair of su's that I had from another z on the car because I knew they were tuned enough to get it running.

I also used my single point dizzy from my 72' because I knew that it worked.

After troubleshooting and trying to get the car to run I discovered that the distributor shaft was 180 degrees off and had to loosen the oil pump to reset the gear on the oil pump shaft to get the dizzy rotor at plug #1 @ TDC etc. (TDC = compression stroke of #1 cylinder + cam lobes at 10 & 2 o'clock + dizzy rotor at #1).

I need some help on determining what is wrong with this thing... I don't know if there are valve issues from the PO's rebuild or if it's something simple like vaccum etc. Please help before I catch the something on fire!

su-spitfire_thumb.jpg

thanks for your suggestions I only hope you can continue to help me out here. My first attempt was to check the cam timing since it was about the only thing at this point I had not checked. I have never done this before but thought it would be a good learning experience. I removed the valve cover and the pics attached show what I found.

I used the manual to guide me as of what to look for?? I started off looking for the engraved notch on the locating plate. I could not find a notch. I continued on to locate some other reference to cam timing and searched for the notches on the timing chain sprocket... nothing. I found an old timing chain sprocket off an old engine as a reference. I saw the notch on the locating plate as well as the notches on the sprocket. But the one I have has neither one? So I'm at a loss at this point as to where to go next?

I've attached photos of the head in question and I threw in a pic of the old one that shows the notch for someone else to reference.

P6190409_thumb.jpg

P6190404_thumb.jpg

P6190410_thumb.jpg

P6190420_thumb.jpg

Wow no timing marks, that's a bummer. The L26 I had apart had the timing marks and the chain had special colored links so you knew exactly where to line up the marks.

If im not mistaken one of two things happens when your timing is off. A: you are only off by a tooth maybe two or three, the engine will run but your powerband will move around depending on whether you retarded / advanced the timing. B: You are way off and as soon as soon as you turn the engine over the valve train is basically ruined.

I do NOT think you are at situation B. Another thing to look at is if they left the points style dizzy on, or did they upgrade to an electronic one? If you like I can pull my valvecover later tomorow, and my dizzy cap. Set everything up at 0* TDC and take some pics for a reference.