HybridZ

SAE Baja @ Wisconsin

letitsnow

Was anybody else at the Wisconsin competition this year? I was there on the MCC team, car 102.

I'm wondering if I inadvertently talked to any other hybrid z'ers while searching for various tools or parts we didn't have.

We had the black and yellow swing arm car.

Here are a few pictures, I'm waiting for our adviser to upload the rest.

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

And one of the car clean before we had everything together to mount the shocks.

IMG_0220.jpg

We're required to run an untouched 10hp briggs, we can use any drivetrain after it though. It adds another thing to design around, being an engineering competition. We used a jr dragster cvt with a single 12t/60t chain drive, we ended up with one of the faster accelerating cars out there.

The swingarm design worked out very very well, it took a little more driving than the IRS cars, but we made it work. I do have to say that I'm thankful for every single piece of roll bar padding and safety harness/cushion, we had 11" of travel at each wheel, but you still get thrown around a lot. Especially if you come up short on a double.

It is still really fun to drive, the race track was a relatively mild motocross track with a few obstical course style sections, like a rock section and some telephone poles layed down around a corner.

Ours has room for a 22hp vtwin in the back though.:wink:

If they do, they're not doing a very good job at it. We had one of the faster accelerating cars on the course with a clutch setup that's basically an educated guess, with a truly legal motor. There were only 3-4 cars that I noticed pulling away at a decent rate, losing 40min of the race to repairs seriously hurt our position. We had a 3 way tie for 30th out of 100 teams.

Part of the tech inspection is having the governor set by the briggs guys, I think if they heard a car that sounded like it was revving significantly higher that they'd get sent to get checked out. Also, the top ten cars from the enduro get completely torn down by the tech inspectors after the race to check for any cheating.