HybridZ

Electroluminescent sheeting

RPMS

My mother gets all these neat catalogs, and in one of them, MicroMark, they have cut-to-fit electroluminescent sheeting with a power supply for only $19.99. I've never seen anything like this before, and it got me to thinking about backlit gauge faces, illuminated emblems, etc.

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/25010.html

The only issue I can see is that the sheet is fairly small - 1 3/4 x 3 3/4. That should be enough to do two of the smaller stock gauges, but it's not large enough to do the speedo or tach.

Whaddya think? Does this stuff generate any ideas amongst y'all?

That's exactly what's used to make EL gauge faces icon_smile.gif Autometer WAS going to make a set of these but said that their engineers found out the stuff "aged" and faded over time. They decided this wasn't suitable for their product and halted it - drat! I really like that stuff, they're using it on foot pedals now too icon_rolleyes.gif I spotted it in F&F on a nice RX7 and might have to track it down for my RX. If I could figure out a way to do it in my Z I would but right now for me it doesn't look doable with my Autometers. I've colored my bulbs blue for now but if Autometer ever makes those puppies I'll be all over them.

Anyway, for you I think ths stuff might be worth a shot if you like it. There are sites that already have the printer files for white faced gauges - maybe print them on clear plastic to put over the EL sheeting? This stuff is getting popular and common so perhaps you can find bigger pieces for the tach and speed too? Would be a really cool project if it works out. I'd have gone with Japanese aftermarket gauges in the Z just to get that effect if they had any tachsspeedos that would work and look decent. For some reason their tachs and speedos are usually too small and darned ugly. icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmm. I just received a Micro Mark catalogue and looked at the small parts molding products. Now I will have to look for the EL stuff! Sounds like an idea. Perhaps wire the EL directly into the Z lighting system and replace the stock bulbs. Time to check into CLEAR vinyl gauge faces icon_smile.gif

Craig

Do some Google seaches - wow lot's of stuff out there! Turn signals for the mirrors anyone?

autointerior.jpg

Lot's of places out there selling the "wire" and some detailing how to install it but I've not yet found sheets of the stuff. My next gauge lighting excercise will be blue LEDs. If I can find a 12 volt unit I'll be VERY happy as I can fudge it into the existing bulb holders. So far fuel gauge looks great (perfect) the water temp gauge is WAL dim (?!), and the other gauges are mixed levels in between. white faced gauges (Autometer in my case) with Blu LEDs will look pretty nice but for stock overlays the EL would be AWESOME.

Hrm, beware that it's vulnerable to UV. This is apparently what "ages" it. I wish Autometer would hurry up and build a line of these.... icon_cool.gif

Hrm! -> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0885/page1.html Glovebox light anyone? Now THAT'S a neat idea icon_biggrin.gif Good article on the stuff there but it's the wire not the panels (sigh).

Hrm! -> http://www.nis-knacks.com/products/b13/b13_face_plate.html

http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/automotive_oem/electrical/durel.jhtml

Okay, here's a "How-To" for making gauge faces but probably for a different car. Probbaly worth checking out for this though icon_biggrin.gif

http://russ.angrypacket.com/howto/carstuff/diy-indiglo-gauges/

And -> http://beingseentechnologies.goemerchant2.com/nscgi-bin/BeingSeenTechnologies/catalog.cgi?Department=95%20Customize%20your%20Auto%20Gauges&Cartid=700994691019&Merchant=BeingS eenTechnologies for actual kits to do this - pricey though! Looks like this URL is hitting a line length limit but you can puzzle it out - right? icon_mad.gif

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

BLKMGK: too much! The glove box is a cool idea, but the whole interior of that car...eeeeeww! Actually, if we manufacture a kit for a Hondah Civic, I'm sure we can be bazillionairs tomorrow...

It would be cool to have backlit guages for the older Z cars. I could get into that! The lighting my 260Z had was pathetic!

Davy

I think I posted some info about those wires before...was thinking about stuffing them into the turn signal assemblies and such as an alternative to LEDs.

I was also thinking about cutting part of my side mirrors and putting some of that stuff behind it to make it look like those newer turn signals with LEDs. I would never do that entire interior stuff though! Yech!

Owen

Damn, that fully "dressed" interior was.... unique. It looked like a disco exploded in there...

I've been thinking about using thin fluorescent tubes, the kind that illuminate a laptop computer display, for interior illumination. They're skinny enough to sneak up under the bottom of the dashboard, and they put out plenty of illumination. I wonder if I could use a standard 12-volt power supply from a camping lantern to power them...

Guest Anonymous

Ordered my EL sheet from www.beingseen.com just a few minutes ago. Got the clear vinyl gauge faces - exactly like the classic whites on my website - being made as we speak. I am also going to have the EL sheet die cut for blinkers and such as well.

Craig

Craig, let us know how they turn out when you finish! It sounds as of there is not too much work involved in doing this--or should I say it sounds workable by the average guy who likes to work on car projects...

Davy

Guest MM_280Z

The guages are OK but thay EL cable stuff... THAT my friend is some ricey sheit! icon_rolleyes.gif Definately NOT cool to have EL stuff on the petals either icon_wink.gif

Oh...I guess I did. So maybe I should replace the drip rails with neon tubing? How about a glowing ring around the muffler tip?? Yeah! icon_smile.gif

Ever see "Automan"? Pretty corny TV show but all the distinct lines of the car were like neon or something.

Owen

if anything, somebody has to make a hi-po light kit for the map light, dome light, and the inspection light underhood, right now all those lights are so dang dim man!@!!!!!!

i really cant see nothing with those lights, the moon actually illuminates better than those dang lights man....