HybridZ

Dual Supertrapp exhaust?

Guest KraZ4spd

The Supertrapps look pretty cool, but all the tests I can remember have them as being a little too loud for the same amount of power a good muffler like a Dynomax Superturbo puts out. They have tunability, no question, but they put out more sound per hp gained. But hey, to each his own--if you like them, be different and play with them. It'll look unique and perform well. What's 3-4hp at the top end anyway?

Davy

Guest Anonymous

You may want to put something upstream of them if you want them quieter... Maybe a small racing bullet muffler or something just to knock it back a bit before it hits the Supertrapps... Just an opinion.

Regards,

Lone

hey dont the supertrapps have baffles that you can add or take off for the sound level, i personally hate their looks, for me ill take either one super turbo muffler or two super turbo mufflers with 2 1/4 outlets

with my setup now it just sounds like a inliner with timing issues....until he wakes up at about 3k...then he sounds like a 327.

Guest Anonymous

ive seen a couple of hot rods getting around with the supertrapps on i,m not to sure if there the way i,d go though?

putting baffles on the end of a free flowing glass packed muffler defeats the purpose of the design to me.

and they cant be to efficient if they need to be up to 24 inches long, i think ill be sticking with a nice free flowing stainless turbo muffler and BIG dump pipe icon_cool.gif

Guest KraZ4spd

Clint, I couldn't agree more. The Trapp is THE sweetest sound for the L6. I was more curious about the V8. I know that you can tune for more low end or more high end with these. A lot of BMW's are using it and getting some good results.

I love the sound of supertrapps too. Actually I am hoping to put one on my turbo car once the time (and money) comes for my 'ultimate exhaust system'. icon_smile.gif (that will likely be a 3" mandrel bent system splitting to 2 2.5" pipes, no resonator, and dual supertrapps, one on each side of the fuel cell I don't have yet)

Guest Anonymous

The buzz I've always heard about traps was by the time you put in enough plates for it to be quiet you lose some horsepower. Personally I have enough things to tune without having to tune my exhaust too. Unless your building some ungodly horsepower either a pair of turbo's side by side in back, or a single three inch exhaust is probably more than adequate.

Regards,

Lone

Here is my theory behind the suppertrapp.

I have had mine for 10 years and love it and have yet to hear a sweeter muffler for the L6, sounds good on SBC as well.

Looks personally I like it, but to each their own, the Stainless looks good

Tunability well the plates actually are supposed to tune for rpm. Just like building an intake there is an optimum velocity for a certain rpm. Could be a bit of hocus pocus, I like the adjustabilty for noise. Many mufflers sound good at first, but put alot of highway miles and they suddenly get tiresome.

A cammed up hi compression L6 with a trapp sounds so damned good.

Not the best shot of it, it looks better from the side. 3" stainless I bought it for $145cdn when suppertrapp had a big sale. Not sure if you would need duals Drax. I have also seen dual trapps on a 240z side by side. It was hooked to a 383 stroker, not a bad package icon_wink.gif

rear.jpg

Naw the reason I wanted duals was that I was thinking if I split from 3" to duals around the rear of the tranny I'd have a really nice exhaust note. Plus I like the looks of a pipe out on either side. (or 2 in the middle) It would be a totally aestetic mod, I doubt it would gain any power over a simple 3" system. Either way, I'm not even close to thinking about it yet.