HybridZ

SU Carburetors (Needle Valve)

I was cleaning the SU’s on my 240Z and noticed that the needle in the middle on one of the SU’s was a little bent and this caused the core to get stuck approx 2/3rd’s the way down.

What are my options? Do I have to replace the core or can you just buy a new needle. Where can i find a new needle?

I looked all over the SU's and was unable to find make and model.

P1010156.jpg

I apologize in advance if the question are trivial.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SFC01B :)

If the needle did significant damage to the body of the carb, then it will need to be replaced, but if you didn't force it I think you should be able to replace the needles in it.

You should replace the needles in both carbs at the same time, so an even amount of fuel is metered to the front three and back three cylinders, as they wear slightly over time.

Yes, if the needle(s) have worn the jet then you need new jets as well. but you should be able to try new needles first. You can get the needles MSA offers or you can get some Brittish SM Needles which are a tad richer in the higher rpms.

BTW your vac advance is hooked up incorrectly. If you look down the port you have it connected to now the hole is about the size of a pin. Connect it to the balance tube. I was guilty of this until recenlty, I switched it to the balance tube and noticed much faster revs.