HybridZ

T56 Shift Knobs

BLKMGK

I've lost track of the thread but it was a bit off-topic anyway so I'll startt a new one... Pete had mentioned TeamVoodoo.com as a good source for shifter knobs. I agreed that the knobs look AWESOME however they don't list a T56 application except for the 'vettes. I had hoped it was the same thread but... apparently NOT according to this site -> http://www.mbaproducts.com/

They list similiar knobs and for only $30 but sans the nice Pearl coating TeamVoodoo uses. Anyone else found a suitable source for decent shift knobs for theT56? The MBA folks are on vacation till the 6th of August so I've got some time to ponder other alternatives. I've a feeling that once this puppy fires that threaded rod is going to grow OLD real fast - especially for reverse! icon_rolleyes.gif If I find good sources I'll try to list them here for others...

Guest Anonymous

I havn't done a exhaustive search on it, I did find the old school hurst ball type that has the 6 spd pattern on top in white or black at like Jegs or Summit. It is a big thread though and alot of the ricer ones definitely won't fit.. icon_mad.gif

Regards,

Lone

My shifter isn't 2 pieces Mike, changing it around would involve some real PITA type work. In some was I don't like his shifter but in others I really do. I's staying for now.

one I looked at the Hurst ball. It's like $30+ $6 handling form Jegs and summit but for that pice I can get a plain aluminum one formth ecompany I linked above. I REALLy liked the Pearl handle that Pete pointed out but the woman says black would look better in my car and she knows colors better than I icon_rolleyes.gif So, I've ordered one and expect it sometime next month. I'd like something engraved in it but I have no idea what so I'll get it plain for now. A 6speed pattern would be nice at least but I'll live with a bare stick for awhile. I might try to modify the old knob I've got but the hole is too small right now and I'll probably wind up damaging it. Bleah, why did they choose such a large diameter that no one else uses? Kripes! icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Women.. haha, I wanted to get the white Hurst, woman says black would look better... So I have the stock camaro one thats stitched leather over some pool ball sized knob. icon_rolleyes.gif

She's right to often as it is (I hate that... icon_smile.gif ) for me to let her get away with picking out the correct color for my shift knob... icon_mad.gif

Regards,

Lone

Jim,

What do you mean 2piece? Mine was the factory shifter that I had cut shorter, then rethreaded... I don't understand.. Anyway, Mine was a standard shift knob from Pepboys, carbon look and cheap, like $30 or something in that range, but I already had it, already knew I was re-threading the shaft to something more common than the odd-ball size that came on it. The re-threading only cost about $25, so I figure that ot was worth it.

Now that I'm in the machining business, I'd be able to do it myself for the cost of a $5 die.

Mike

icon_cool.gif

Stock shifter consists of a small "stub" sticking up from the trans with a second "stick" bolted to it ala Mustang T5. The B&M shifter has no such bolts - it's 4 bolts onto the trans and that's it. No stub, no stick, just a long stainless shaft that bends upwards. I could cut it and have the shaft turned but then it would need welding and it's solid stainless - bleah. It's actually going to work out I think - matt black knob 2.25 inches around for $36. Not too bad all things considered. Titanium is something like $160 - no thanks icon_smile.gif

Hey now, Ti is really cool stuff! You could have that baby sit in the sun all day long and it wouldn't be hot at all. icon_biggrin.gif That was about the only practical purpose I could come up with... oh yeah, weight savings. Probably 1/4lbs over a similar steel unit.

And lone, didn't you mean to cross drill your brake lines? Sheesh, some of the mis-information going around here... icon_biggrin.gif

The beuty of titanium, in this case, is it's looks. Aluminum is pretty nice looking but titanium apparently has some really neat coloring. if it wasn't a zillion bux I'd consider it but $160 for a simple shift knob is really a bit off the map for my budget icon_smile.gif

Well Ti wouldn't necessarily make a good strut tower bar. Grade 9 Ti is quite stiff, but anything else flexes a fair bit. Not to mention that its a pain in the ass to work with. If you ever have to tap threads in Ti, plan on replacing your tap every hole or two.

There are very few automotive applications I can think of where Ti would be superior than something like aluminum. The exceptions may be super high-stress parts in the engine, and anywhere you want the superior corrosion resistance combined with light weight and poor thermal conductivity that Ti offers. Now that I say that, Ti headers would be awesome! icon_biggrin.gif No ceramic coating necessary. icon_smile.gif

I wonder how well Ti valves work with No2. Ti can combust in the same way magnesium does if in the right temperature range and a rich oxygen environment.

A little Ti story:

The USSR used to construct the entire hull of their Ti hulled submarine in a huge sealed hangar with shielding gas as the atmosphere in the hangar instead of air. The workers and welders wore suits that had air piped to them.

Guest Anonymous

Thats amazing. I've seen welding chambers to do welding at an atmosphere of pressure but they were small, thats incredible, no wonder we bankrupted them (USSR) if they had to do projects like that... icon_smile.gif

The only thing I don't care for in metal shift handles is the heat. I had the Hurst T handles on my cars for years because I really like the feel and they get so friggin' hot here in the summer you have to put a towel over them during the day. I agree for 160.00 bucks I could get a new shifter not just a shift knob... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Hmm, the USSR must have had a lot of Ti available to them, seems everything they made was Ti. (a buddy of mine has a Ti watch made from a decomissioned USSR nuclear missle, how cool is that?)

I had the (un?)fortunate experience of assembling, troubleshooting, and operating the worlds largest Titanium autoclave for quite some time. Its neat stuff!