HybridZ

Turbo motor..without the Turbo Question..

Hi all,

I've actually spoken to a guy in Tucson and arranged for a sale for his 73 240Z with a L28E-T swap...less the turbo (been converted to N/A temporarily).

I have a question...

Right now the car is running the turbo injectors with a cam (he said it was 60 over or so) and he said it runs and hauls ass but runs rich. I spoke to my friend who is an avid Z car guy and he said that the Z won't be able to be driven down here to San Diego in current condition. The injectors would need to be swapped out, otherwise there might be gas that gets into the crank case, or cylinder flooding and would cause all kinds of hell. He mentioned this after he found out that it was an L28. I didn't know at the time it was off actually a turbo motor.

The question is this: To get the car to run to San Diego, would the turbo injectors need to be switched out with the regular L28 injectors in the parking lot before cruising home? If so, will the ECM actually compensate for that the fact that injectors are different? My brother's BMW 325is has this feature, but I wasn't sure if the Z's are simliar.

If there's a post where I can find the answer, please let me know. I'm eager to learn about this and am excited to get in with the Z community.

Thanks!

Kaustav

The ECU will definitely not compensate for the bigger injectors unless the AFM has been messed wth. Did he say what year EFI harness/equiptment was in the car?

You might poke around with the search feature, you might be dissapointed with how sorry the EFI is.

Stock N/A injectors IIRC are ~ 180cc, turbo injectors are 259cc.

If it runs as it sits I wouldn't worry about it much. Pull the spark plugs and see how black they are.

A possible temporary solution if the car is running really really really rich and hard to drive would be to pull a vacuum line, which should make it lean out a bit. I don't know how safe that would be though.

Engine and harness are off a 1st gen 280zx turbo. Thanks for the info. Once my friend found out about the turbo motor, he did say that the car should be able to make it here. I've been searching around to get the L28 back to Turbo which would be badass...will make for an interesting autocross car haha

Yeah, if it is the turbo EFI than it should not be a problem, I'd just be disappointed with the 7.4:1 SCR

Wouldn't a turbo AFM run pretty rich at higher RPM on an N/A motor? [This would be nothing to be worried about, except for performance and fuel economy.]

the stock injection system on both the n/a and turbo adds fuel based on metered air, if the car has the turbo ecu, injectors and mas it should work, the turbo isn't there to draw enough air to flood the engine, there is at least one person here running turbo electronic's and injectors on an n/a wiht good results