HybridZ

240z v. 260z Chassis

I'm not too much an expert on the Z. I'm a Honda guy, but I recently found a 76' S30, not sure if its a 260z or 280z. The tail lights are all red and indented.

The owner is asking $1500 obo. Dash is cracked, some rust on the outer body. Not sure about rust on the undercarriage or elsewhere.

To restore a vehicle like this might be $5K or more. I want to do the 240ZHG style in the future.

The early 240z appears to have smaller rear fenders. What are the pros and cons. It appears online that there are more parts for the early S30.

hey there. The 76 is likely a 280Z if I have my dates correct. you can really tell by looking at the front blinkers. If they're round and low then it's a 260/240, but then the date is wrong, and if they're square and in the grille, it's a 280Z. If the rust isn't too bad, and it runs it could be worth $1500, but it depends on how common they are in your area. I bought my near rust free 280 for $300. but the engine, no workee. Mostly you you be looking at the frame rails and the floorpans for rust. if it's bubbling, then $1500 is probably not a good deal, a little surface is fine and actually normal to see on a 30+ year old Z. Search on here for Rust and you'll find threads on where to look. If you're really thinking you want a 240Z, then keep looking. Best to start with what you want and go from there.

Some differences: the 240z is shorter, than the 280z in both length and height. 240's have smaller shocks and engine. they're also more expensive to restore sine they're older and less were built. Do a lot of reading about things before you go buy one. anything can be fixed with $$$...

I'm not too much an expert on the Z. I'm a Honda guy, but I recently found a 76' S30, not sure if its a 260z or 280z. The tail lights are all red and indented.

The owner is asking $1500 obo. Dash is cracked, some rust on the outer body. Not sure about rust on the undercarriage or elsewhere.

To restore a vehicle like this might be $5K or more. I want to do the 240ZHG style in the future.

The early 240z appears to have smaller rear fenders. What are the pros and cons. It appears online that there are more parts for the early S30.

If your looking for an early z, give me a PM, i have one you might like.

Differences in chassis....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123516

1976 is a 280z

Thanks for the info. It was really helpful.

hey there. The 76 is likely a 280Z if I have my dates correct. you can really tell by looking at the front blinkers. If they're round and low then it's a 260/240, but then the date is wrong, and if they're square and in the grille, it's a 280Z. If the rust isn't too bad, and it runs it could be worth $1500, but it depends on how common they are in your area. I bought my near rust free 280 for $300. but the engine, no workee. Mostly you you be looking at the frame rails and the floorpans for rust. if it's bubbling, then $1500 is probably not a good deal, a little surface is fine and actually normal to see on a 30+ year old Z. Search on here for Rust and you'll find threads on where to look. If you're really thinking you want a 240Z, then keep looking. Best to start with what you want and go from there.

Some differences: the 240z is shorter, than the 280z in both length and height. 240's have smaller shocks and engine. they're also more expensive to restore sine they're older and less were built. Do a lot of reading about things before you go buy one. anything can be fixed with $$$...

Maybe I can take some snap shots. It appears that rust is a thing you want to avoid otherwise alot of custom fabrication might have to be done. From the sticky thread it appears you can make a 280z resemble a 240z, but still have a stronger frame. The main reason I would like a 72' is to avoid smog inspection also to either make the L-type a turbo or swap an RB motor in the future.