HybridZ

Heater control issue 86 300zx

woodboxer

Heres the issue, i switched my heater control but it kept coming on throwing heat all the time . ANyway i put the origianil back in, and although it works fie , i can't see the numbers on the temp gauge , if i look close they are there but they don't light up enught o see, as well one of the lights which indicate that it on defrost or demist isn't coming on, i can live with that but I need to see the temp degrees. Is there a fix or do i replace the unit? If so who has one?

TIA bob

it's most ikely a vac line problem, it's very common, there is a vac controlled dashpot against the firewall inline wiht the heater core hoses, and there is another line that goes throught he firewall closer to the battery, it tends to get hard and break on either side of the firewall, if the hoses hceck otu, th eone going throught he firewall leads to a valve body and dashpts ont he trans tunnel just above and to the right of the drivers right foot, the dashpots stock or get brittle cna crack no linger able to move as they shoudl to close the heat door flapper

you can open the unit. there are two flat white plugs that pop into the main circuit board. there are also some twist-off bulbs. replace them with high brightness LED's.

I got some green ones to make it super bright green.

Also, the little potentiometer at the top of the display with the - to + indication changes the contrast of the display. turn that towards the plus to make the liquid crystal display darker. too dark, and you'll see the images of the modes that are off even when they are not on.

I have taken apart about 3 of these units, and you can replace the bulbs easily. you can even change the colors to whatever you want.

i tried turning the + _ button but no luck, i can still see the number , although they are standard not metric. nut it is still hard to see. So if i changes the bulbs would that help. BTW i am heading to the nationials next week and would like some help before then , if possible. tia bob

+1 to what careless said.

You can take the original control head for the heater apart and replace the backlight for the display. I have done this on older stock stereos and it worked pretty good.

The LEDs are pretty cheap, Radio Shack has em for like $1 ea or so. heck you could make it blue, red, green whatever tickles your fancy.

thanks , but how do i take the unit apart? any help wpuld be appreciated, right now i am trying to get ready for the altantic nationials car show, i had some issues with the front end , soeone hit it. so i have to sand and try to paint it before the weekend, wish me luck, tia bob

thanks wizzard,

i hope u don't mind if i post these on our local club site? atlanticz.ca please feel free to visit us there, we just had a great weekend at the Atlantic Nationials car show, it is the largest car show in our area, we have links to it there as well.

thanks again bob

• 4 weeks later...

well i finially got the bulbs changed, i took the good ones out of the old heater control I had that didn't work. So I am still 2 bulbs short , and i am getting better at removing replacing the unit thou, most troble was the wiring on the cd player, it has a sub woofer and the wires weren't marked, anyway its good , Thanks again Wizzard. Now here the next issue , how do i change the degree reading to celius? Its funny know that I can see it , now i want to change the degree, I am never happy. LOL

thanks bob