HybridZ

The Mighty Zed lives!! Thanks to JimCanuck!!

Calgary280ZT

Well, it appears that after a year without TMZ, the beast is back. Here's the sad story. April 2008 ktm installed a Wolf V500 EMS in TMZ. Ran rich, but no problem driving back to Calgary from Los Angeles. Drove the car for a couple of months, then it went into the shop for engine mods. The mechanic is an old Nissan tech who now runs his own shop and he used to race 1st gen Zs in Jamaica. The idea was for me to do the work and he would supervise, like I was an apprentice.

Here's what we did:

Rebello race ported and polished P90 head, big SS intake valves, Isky cam

Pallnet fuel rail

Supra 440 cc injectors

T3/T4 ball bearing, ceramic coated turbo (brand new)

Custom stainless steel downpipe to existing 3" exhaust

Custom SS intercooler piping

60 mm TB

Polished and ported Lone Wolf intake manifold

I followed TonyD's advice and opened up everything from the intake to the exhaust. The only part that isn't bigger or polished/ported is the exhaust manifold.

The goal is to make 400 rwhp at 10 psi boost with a stock bottom end. That's all the good stuff.

After we got everything in, the car would never start. The mechanic and I spent months (literally!) trying to get a spark. The closest we got was starting an engine bay fire!

Finally, in November we gave up. TMZ sat in the shop's yard all winter until I pulled it home last month. A couple of weeks ago it was towed over to JimCanuck's. Jim is both an electric engineer and a part-time Z mechanic, and he has worked on almost every aspect of my car, including the turbo swap.

Well, Jim diagnosed his way through the entire ignition system. We knew the ECU was good because I had sent it to Australia to be checked at the factory. Finally, it came down to the coil ignitor. I won't bore you with the details, but after much head scratching, Jim figured out that the ECU didn't like the stock Nissan ignitor. Tonight he installed a GM ignitor and the car started up and purred like a kitten...a very bad a$$ kitty!!

First thing he did is phone me on my cell and let me listen to my baby run...I was so freakin' excited!!

Tomorrow or this weekend I'll post some video and pics. Next job will be some rough tuning...Jim says it's running rich. Neither of us has tuned before, so should be an adventure.

Stay tuned....

The issue with the ignitors not triggering the coil is very strange indeed. We tried several stock ZXT ignitors/coils and distributors (having parts is wonderful) with the same result (nothing....)

Knowing it had run like this before is what contributed to both the previous mechanics and my initial confusion about WTF might be wrong as we looked down many false alleys. "rang like this before, can't be the wiring...."

In what appeared to be a last ditch effort we switched the power and trigger wires on the top of the igniter thinking this was about the only thing that might be backward, even though every shematic and reference that I could find (and my experience ) said the +12v is the black wire to the top of the "T" of the connector and the trigger is the yellow to the base of the "T".

Much to our shock doing the switch of these two wires resulted in the first spark the coil has produced in a long time. The car would not start though, just a few very basic chugs on key-off. Oh well, must be the map or timing is way out.

That was late Wednesday night. We packed it in.

Yesterday something clicked about "ya there's spark, but the spark is pretty weak". Went out and bought (Mark, ya owes me $66 dollarettes) a GM HEI module and bingo, big inch long bright arcs from the coil and the car starts right up. I wired the module "correctly" no switched power and trigger on this one.

Lots of you characters out there are running stock coil/ignitors with Wolf right? So what is special about Marks car? (Other than the paint....) The mystery continues..... Something to do with the properties of the square wave Wolf uses for the trigger from this specific box? We have 5ms charge time....

Maybe there is hope of getting this thing out of my shop before July after all!

Any advice hints, experience, settings, or guidance would be great.

Thanks!

Oh, and Tony, I'll get to that manifold porting real soon....

(PS: z240 here = JimCanuck on zcar. )