HybridZ

Can an Arc Welder be used for my project?

shadesh

I saw this welder for sale but was not sure if I can use this to do light welding on my datsun 280z? I have to weld some sheet metal (4 inch x 4 inch) and repair the rear hatch sill area.

Below is the welder description. Should I buy? I know most will say to get a Mig but this one is cheap abd if it can be used for my purposes, I would like to go for it..

Weldmatic 100 - (115 v.a.c/60Hz) Arc welder - Uses stick electrodes - welds up to 100 amps

Thanks all..

Possible? , yes. Would I recommend it, NO . Unless you have major welding experience, you will just make things worse. I recommend, get a cheap MIG and practice a little

Will something like below work?

CHICAGO 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder, MIG 100 .BRAND NEW .

No Gas Required .

Specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require.

Includes: 4" spool of flux-core wire, spare welding tip, wire brush/hammer and welding mask

Self-regulating feed control

Thermal protection with warning light

Carry handle on lid

Input: 115 volt, 15 amp, single phase

Welding current (2 settings) 63 to 68 amps (low), 79 to 90 amps (high)

Duty cycle: 10% @ 80 amps, 18% @ 60 amps

Wire capacity: 0.030"

I would definitely stay away from stick welding. The heat will generally cause the surrounding metal to warp out of shape. Mig or Tig would be better, and still I wouldn't lay a long bead. I would do repeated spot welds, alternating to different sections and allowing cooling time in between welds.

On the 90 amp welder, we had a race car chassis break at a track that was ~400 miles from home. We went and picked up a similar welder to fix the car and it worked surprisingly well.

I would definitely stay away from stick welding. The heat will generally cause the surrounding metal to warp out of shape. Mig or Tig would be better, and still I wouldn't lay a long bead. I would do repeated spot welds, alternating to different sections and allowing cooling time in between welds.

On the 90 amp welder, we had a race car chassis break at a track that was ~400 miles from home. We went and picked up a similar welder to fix the car and it worked surprisingly well.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it..

I wouldnt look at a welder for just this job. Once you own one, you will find all kinds of things to weld. Go the cheapo route now and you'll regret it later. I'm not saying spend top dollar, but I wouldnt buy a mig that wasnt upgradable to run gas later. Once you seen the difference, theres no going back ( unless your in a pinch ).

I have a friend who, in his pomp, could weld 1.2mm sheet with an Arc, but he is extremely experienced and appears to be a very good welder!

I find it basically impossible to run continous beads with my Mig when welding thin metal, which is pretty much what you would have to do with an ARC!

For thinner materials I almost always use an "on" - "off" method of welding, like running lots and lots of little tacks so when your done it kinda looks like it was tig'd, well sort of - this method would be pretty much impossible for ARC welding, and if you couldn't employ this method you would have to run a continous bead, which would most likely end up with you just burning holes in everything!

• 2 weeks later...

NO. don't braze on sheet metal. The heat required for it is going to warp the panel.

Well you can~, and use a rag and ice water to shrink it back, but sense he's asking about welders, I wouldn't think that he has the skills to know how long to hold the rag or the torch.

I'm sure you can find a cheap $50 fluxcore welder on craigslist. I did :P. Only topped the duty cycle of it once ever since I bought it.

Does it do everything that I want? - no

Does it do what I need it to do? -yes

And for $50 for a welder, I consider $50 money that I would be wasting on something else. :P

I live on a pension,so I know all about money being tight but if your reading thru this thread and looking for a first welder don,t shop on price! SHOP FOR WHAT THE WELDER CAN DO! AND FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU NEED AND HOW TO AFFORD IT!

don,t think of buying a 90-100 amp flux core welder, its basically wasted money as its extremely limited in its capacity

your far better off saving and waiting until you can get a 140-180 amp name brand mig welder in most cases.the deference in what they can do is amazing

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_140_autoset/

this will do a great deal but its best on exhaust and body panel work

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180_autoset/

probably the best compromise between price and capacity for most car guys, it will do 90% of car welding

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_212_autoset/

this is an excellent shop mig, that will do almost anything

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_252/

I HATE finding out Im limited by tools so I bought this for the personal shop

(took me almost two years of doing odd side work and dropping the proceeds into the welder fund)

Edited by grumpyvette

Everyone, Thanks for your input and yes I am still following this thread. I have not bought a welder yet but am considering saving and buying a name brand welder in the 300-500 range. Atleast I will be rest assured that I can utilize the welder for various welding needs. Grumpyvette made a comment about saving over a period of a couple of years before being able to buy one.. Thank You for that because I learned that I ought to be more patient...

and so I will continue to save. Oh, by the way, if there is someone in Southern California who would be willing to lend me a hand with your welder, please let me know... I actually only have a few areas (small) that needs a new piece welded in..

In our shop, we have an Esab wirefeeder, a Lincoln Tigmaster, and an old Millermatic 35. In my opinion, the Miller is the best reasonably priced welder there is. You can pick one up on Craigs list for 5 or 6 hundred dollars, plug it in to the cloths dryer outlet and weld anything (Unless you plan on building a battleship)

Just my 2 cents

Joe