HybridZ

Thermostat replacement on L series...

Got a new one, seems like a straight forward job that shouldn't take very long at all. Except that the FSM says "When installing, apply adhesive to both sides of the packing for prevention of water leakage."

Um, what? What is the packing, and what adhesive am I supposed to use?

Anyone know if this is necessary or not?

I use a compound called Halomar. I think it was origionally used as a sealant between the cases on VW's, but I've yet to have a gasket fail that was sealed with that stuff on the motors I've built. Though if you use something like that, don't expect to salvage the gasket if you have to do it again. When it's there, it's there.

Probably what the PO used then. I went to pull the housing off, and the gasket decided to weld part of itself to the housing and the other, smaller bit to the head. Damn thing would come off in chunks from the housing, so I just started scraping the damn thing off bit by bit.

New gasket and housing are in, took it for a little tooling around, looks good so far, but tomorrow is going to be the real, full temp test.